Does iTunes' "sound check" actually change your files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ebow, Mar 29, 2003.

1. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Just wondering if, when you check the Sound Check option in iTunes' preferences, does iTunes go and mess around with the actual encoding of each file? Or does it just adjust the volume slider for each file, and save that adjustment somewhere (e.g. the iTunes database, file headers, resource fork, etc.)?

My guess is that it just tweaks the sliders and stores that info, meaning that if I check it, and don't like the results, I can uncheck it and get my current sounds back.

Thanks for any quick thoughts on this. I did a search here and in the Help Viewer pages (yuck) and couldn't figure it out.

:confused:

2. skymaXimus macrumors regular

Re: Does iTunes' "sound check" actually change your files?

I'm sure it "normalizes" on the fly. I seriously doubt it actually changes all the files in your iTunes db...that would probably require a few min of processing power, like when you "convert selection to mp3" And you would notice.

3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

it doesnt do it 'on the fly' and it does take several minutes processing.

it changes the tags. so the audio file itself is left untouched and you can adjust or undo any of the changes.

4. ebow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ebow

Thanks for the info. Knowing that it can be undone I'll let iTunes chug away at it over night...

p.s What does it take to move out of "newbie" status here? I guessed it would change at post 20 or 25. I know that 26, now 27 posts isn't a lot for almost 2 years, but still...

5. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i believe it is 30 if i remember correctly.

soemtimes it does seem like forum age is more important than post count. dont know if there are any vbulletin hacks for that. if there are i might do it on my forums.

6. moss84 macrumors newbie

Actually the changes may be stored in the iTunes Music Library database. If you're interested in the details, they can be found in Article 61655 of the Apple Knowledge Base. In either case, though, the changes are not made to the audio file.

7. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

thansk for that moss (i fixed your link)

here is the info for those who find it hard to click outside links (you know who you are)