Does JHymn work with iTunes 4.7?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lynxpro, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Lynxpro macrumors 6502

I'm curious to know from anyone using the program whether JHymn works with iTunes 4.7 either on Mac or Windows platforms? I want to move some files that were purchased on my parents' Mac last year (via the Pepsi iTunes promotion) over to my PC (haven't bought the Mac mini yet) at my place. Obviously, the computers are on different networks and we use separate Apple/iTunes IDs which the DRM does not like.

If anyone has had success using that program on those platforms, I'd also like to ask if the use of an iPod was required. The pages for the original Hymn stated it essentially required an iPod because it was part of the process of defeating the encryption keys. I hope JHymn is different (haven't seen anything in the FAQ so far) because I'd prefer not to have to set my iPod up on a different machine. Thanks!

2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Are you sure removing the DRM isn't against your EULA?

3. Lynxpro thread starter macrumors 6502

That's not what I was asking. It is clear what I was asking. I'm the only person that will use the songs; I'm not going to share them. I could always d/load DRM free MP3s off Kazaa if I wanted to. But that's not what I want. I want the songs I purchased through a different account (my parents) onto my own CPU and iPod. Sheesh.

4. joeconvert macrumors 6502

Don't Think So....

Hey buddy, I think you're out of luck with 4.7. Sorry, although I never invested a whole lot of time to verify that. Hope that answers your question.

I agree with you that the previous poster was a bit offtopic.

5. Lynxpro thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, Joe. I thought I'd ask since so many people had posted on Engadget (in the thread about DVDJon's new program that strips the DRM while you d/l from the iTunes Store at the same time) that they were still using JHymn that I assumed they were using iTunes 4.7 because I thought iTunes will only work for about a month after a new release is made before it refuses to operate anymore. I assumed iTunes 4.7 just crippled Real's famous hack and nothing else. I wanted to check with other people online before I did something that potentially crippled the files to where they wouldn't work on anything... :)

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

IIRC, JHymn doesn't work with iTunes 4.7+. In any case, you(or your parents anyway) can authorize your computer to play songs purchased on your account. There is no problem having a computer authorized to play songs purchased with two different accounts. I know because I can play songs purchased on both mine and my brother's iTunes accounts, and the same goes for him on his computer. As much as I dislike the idea of DRM, the iTunes DRM is really not all that bad.

7. Lynxpro thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, and this highlights my problem exactly. The songs were purchased (well, redeemed actually, since they were from the Pepsi iTunes promotion from last year) on my father's iTunes account at the time and not my own current iTunes account on my PC. I didn't use my own computer at the time to redeem the songs because I had a perpensity to defrag the hard drive at the least sign of provocation, which wasn't an outlandish thing to do (preventive maintenance) for pre WinXP SP2 versions of Windows.

I was also interested in finding a solution that didn't involve lugging the PC over to the 'rents place to authorize that system on the same network. I guess in the meantime, I'll copy the AAC files via a Toast'ed, drop them in a file folder on the PC and see if JHymn on the PC can do the job (fingers crossed). I'll report back to this thread if it was successful or not.

As long as the end user doesn't delete the email address present in the purchased AAC file, I don't think Apple (and/or the RIAA) should get so bent-out-of-shape over such endeavors. The RIAA has better things to do, like trying to shut down AllofMP3, for example. Who cares to place a friendly wager that the Russian Mafia owns that site?

As for myself, I'm almost a "switcher." I made my parents get an eMac back in 2003 because PCs proved too complicated for them and I really liked the direction OS X was heading (and still do). I almost bought an iBook back in Dec (first week), but I couldn't pass up a Compaq for $500 (at the time) that had an AthlonXP 3200, 512 megs of PC2700, 160 GB hard drive, and a dual layer DVD+-R/W drive.

8. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

What? You can authorize your PC with your father's account, and then copy the files over. You don't need to move any computers, and you don't need JHymn to do it. All you need is your father's account name and password. It will authorize you to play those files on your computer.

Take the files from his Mac and copy them to your PC. Import them into the iTunes library, and when you try to play one, it will ask you to authorize your computer. Enter his Apple ID and password and you're done. You've still got your account for shopping and whatnot, and now you can listen to both sets of music.

EDIT: I should add that you only have to do this once. He can even change his password to something like "apple" and then change it back when you've authorized the computer so that you can do it over the phone and you don't even have to go anywhere. This is a case where what you want to do is actually easier to do the correct way.

9. Lynxpro thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice, Matticus. Your solution was the easiest. I couldn't get JHymn to scrub the files successfully, but that might just be because I didn't comprehend a couple of steps necessary to complete the goal based upon random user ID generation. There were a few people who posted on the Hymn/JHymn forums stating they were able to use it with iTunes 4.7.1 though... :)