Does Linux void the Apple Warranty?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by burningbunny, Mar 14, 2005.

1. burningbunny macrumors newbie

Installed Linux (Yellow Dog) on my PB G4 because the screen seems to be failing me... As long as there's no fancy graphics it works though.
    Now i'm ready to bring it to an Apple Store for them to take a look at it. Does installing Linux void the Apple Warranty? It overwrites the bootstrap partition of the HD but doesn't really damage anything (and I can still use OSX)...

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I doubt it does but don't be surprised if someone says 'It's a Linux problem' and tells you to put OS X back on it.

What sort of thing do you mean by 'fancy graphics'? Surely a screen either works or it doesn't?

3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I would thing that voiding warrenty was simple messing with the internal parts in the machine

4. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

I have a hunch...

being an engineer and knowing that OS X does control the cooling and fan speeds in the moden Macs, I would be very hesitant to let Apple know you installed a third party OS.

it could be argued that it would void the warranty...

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

But why take the chance, in any case?

Back up your data (you're going to have to do that anyway because ther's no guarantee you'll get the machine back with the same hard drive, data or even the same machine).

Flatten the hard drive, pull out your Powerbook CD's and restore to the stock configuration, then send it in for repair. That'll also shortcut the "it's a software thing" excuse at the repair dept. and let them get to the real problem faster.

6. burningbunny thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks for the help, i guess i'll install OSX and restore the partition map...

Well it works up to a certain point at which the screen freezes and goes blotchy green and pink (And finally black). Its a cool visualisation but gets annoying if I actually want to use the Powerbook. It's the same effect that happens when you choose a wrong refresh rate on a TFT. As long as i don't use 3d graphics or quartz (im using linux in command line mode) it works for an hour or so. :(

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Doubtful it would void the warranty. Even with fan control, if the hardware cannot sense the presence of software control, the fans will spin at top speed. Makes sense don't it? So you can run Linux fine, but it'll just be noisy.

8. Bear macrumors G3

I vote with clearing the harddrive and install OS X fresh. And then see if the issue still happens. (It probably will from what you describe.)

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I vote with Bear and whoever else.

You don't want to find out that you accidentally did void that warranty or mess something up, do you?

Didn't think so. Just clean install OS X and ship it in, it will come back nice and fixed. But remember to back up your data. They remind you about a million times-- can't forget.

10. Norouzi macrumors 6502

I doubt it'll void the waranty, but you might as well save some time by restoring it to OS X since if you send it in with Linux on it the tech's will most likely format and put OS X on it to run diagnostics anyway. You'll just be saving them some time and possibly a charge for the tech's having to preform software work to be able to test the machine.