does mac os x suffer from piracy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by farqueue, Nov 10, 2006.

1. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

I recently just reintsalled mac os x, and there was no cd key to enter etc.... i mean when leopard comes out wouldnt someone juz buy a copy and share around with mates?

2. Queso macrumors G4

Yes they could. Apple have historically relied on their userbase having the morals to buy their own OS updates rather than just use someone else's copy.

Although I'd personally appreciate it if everyone reading this thread tempted to pirate would buy their own copy. Otherwise Apple may start adding all that activation rubbish Microsoft put on their software, and I'm sure none of us want that.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yeah. Pony up some $$$. At least if you have more than one Mac (like me) you can get a cheap deal on 5 licenses via the family pack.

4. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Why not, if you actually own the software and have the keys?

5. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Technically, it is very easy to pirate OS X. But the kicker is, you have to be running it on Apple hardware anyway. That is where they make their money. They make an incredible OS in order to sell expensive hardware. I'm not condoning piracy at all, I'm just thinking Apple isn't worried about it at the moment. It is one more thing to set them apart from Redmond.

Stats do show that people using Macs tend to pay for software rather than pirate anyway.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Ask someone who's ever had to re-install XP. Sometimes Microsoft just don't take the key anymore, because it shows on their systems that the copy is already installed. Then you have to call them, sit on hold, finally get through to someone, and convince them that you are re-installing rather than installing onto a second computer.

7. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Never happened to me.

Besides, assume Apple don't make it such an unweildly system. Surely then you'd have no problem with anti-piracy methods such as registration keys.

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Interesting corollary: since most of the people who want to run OS X on generic PC hardware are either A) cheap enough that they won't buy Mac hardware to run OS X, or B) maybe pirating it already, Apple would likely have to incorporate some kind of copy protection measures if they ever WERE to release it for "everyone." And that's in ADDITION to raising the price, to try and make up for lost Mac sales. All around bad, which is why it probably won't happen.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sure people pirate it, but many would like to think that as mac users we're 'above' that.

me? i wouldn't, its not like they are charging outrageous prices for it.

10. Queso macrumors G4

It's only ever happened to me on retail copies, not the OEM licenses. But it's happened often enough to be annoying.

11. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Pirates are radical revolutionaries fighting for social justice, in the face of "them and us" mindsets and deviant labelling. They strive to cast down the so-called crimes created by those who refuse to relinquish their unjust power and who will not stop meddling in our lives for their own benefit and gain at our cost.

Everyone download iWork and OS10.4 from TPB immediately!

The people are the heroes now.
    Behemoth pulls the peasant's plough.

12. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I don't know if I should take that with a pinch of salt or not, either way, funny stuff.

13. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i couldnt install a downloaded copy of OS X. weird, because im fine about downloading windows, but i can't bring myself to pirate Apple software.

And as stated above, Apple charge pocket change compared to Windows, so theres no excuse not to buy it :)

14. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I'm getting some sweet download speeds from TheCommunistBayOfPigs.org.

15. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I must agree fully. Don't think ive bought any software for windows, be it Windows its self or Photoshop :eek:

It's all good tho, Microsoft have enough money.

16. mrploddy macrumors member

If a piece of software is reasnoably priced and has great functionality then I will pony up the $$$ for it.

Apple OS X Leopard on Student discount isn't going to cost the earth and I think I owe it to Apple to give them some money. I did the same with Parallels. I thought it was worth the $$$ because people had raved about it so much so I thought considering the price point it was set at that it was worth the cash and also because I could get the support if it was ever needed but I'm usually ok at configuring Windows.

However I will NOT be paying for Vista. It's just not worth the money for such a big and unwieldly operating system. The only version that would fit my geeky tendancies would be Ultimate and the money they want for it is astronomical. I could buy 4 or 5 copies of Leopoard on student license for the same price.

The only time that I forsee myself using vista is if I get it free somehow or a really low price once it comes down in price but then again considering my next desktop computer will be a Macpro or a Mac Mini why bothr ? XD

-mrploddy

17. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

Yeah! Adobe and Microsoft deserve to be stolen from :D muahahahah

18. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I would pirate winblows software. It sucks, and I have no respect for their crappy OS.

Apple's software on the other hand is cheaper, and 1000000000000000000000000000000 times better;) So I would never pirate it;)

19. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Sure they could. Apple trusts you. Its rare in the software industry, so please don't make them change their minds!

BTW Apple software is not entirely without CD keys. iWork for example has them. I guess they could go that route with Leopard, but personally I like the fact I can reinstall the OS without having to find the box the thing came in.

20. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

'Cause it's a pain in the ass. Who wants to spend ages activating endless amounts of software every time you re-install the OS? The love of activation within the software companies will only last so long. Once virtually every major software app requires it, users will start complaining about the amount of hassle involved in installing all their software.

Plus, who does it benefit or hinder? The pirates just strip out the activation and patch the executable to run without it. Honest users have to put up with another layer of hassle

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did MacRumors change its domain name? :D

22. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    The fact that there's no activation for OS X is part of the overall great user experience. Insert click, click, done.

It would be a sick and sad day if Apple had to go the windows route...

And having the install DVD is essential for troubleshooting, yes I know you could copy it, but still.......

23. ddekker macrumors regular

I can say I used to pirate everything at first, I try it before I buy it, so many softwares in trials are crippled and you can't get a real feel, or they give you a short time and I may not have time to focus and learn what I need in the time frame, as far as apple goes they know to use their OS you are running their hardware (for now) and even if everyone had installed two copies of their stuff and only bought one, its not so bad, I saw somewhere that there are entire countrys including the governments running full bootleg windows, so I thing the piratecy thing is very very small with Apple. The only thing they worry about and protect is OS X server, you can't run two machines on the same network with the same serial number, being as people would have racks full of servers using just one copy... wait you can't buy the server without the software, so I have no idea why they do it..lol...

DD

24. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

It's nice to believe that Apple trusts users enough not to use copy protection. Fair enough. But they do use very intense protection for their professional applications. Logic Pro is the most extreme example because it uses a hardware key that must be plugged into your computer while you use the software.