Does Mac OS X Support DVD-R DL?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by appleweek, Sep 14, 2005.

1. appleweek macrumors member

Hello,
    I would like to know if Mac OS X supports DVD-R DL (Dual Layer/Double Layer; aka DVD-R9) technology? I have been a longtime LiteON DVD Burner user on OS X, and I recently bought my 2nd LiteON DVDRW Drive. This latest version DVDRW Drive (SOHW-1693S) is identical to the previous revision except that it now supports 4x DVD-R DL (not to be confused with DVD+R DL). However, I was surprised that OS X recognized all the functionality of the burner except its DVD-R DL ability. Granted DVD-R DL is new, but does Apple need to add support in the OS for this new technology to be functional in burners? Are their any other programs known to support DVD-R DL on the Mac?

Regards,

2. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I'm not an expert on DL but it may depend on your OS. What version are you using?

3. appleweek thread starter macrumors member

Using all latest software (10.4.2, all available updates).

I assumed that it was Apple that needs to add DVD-R DL support because of the fact that Apple's top-of-the-line PM G5 Superdrive lacks DVD-R DL support itself. A theory is that when Apple ships a Mac with an updated Superdrive that actually supports DVD-R DL is only when we'll see DVD-R DL support for third-part DVD burners included in the OS. Does this seem likely or will Apple include DVD-R DL support before that technology is included in one of its Superdrives?

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Have you tried using Toast?

5. appleweek thread starter macrumors member

Toast 6 may possibly support DVD-R DL, not sure either way. However I wanted to use the Tiger OS itself (Finder Disc Burning/Disk Utility) in order to use a uniform method in my comparison of various disc brands/kinds.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

drivers...get updated drivers.

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, if I may where did you find DVD-R DL discs at? I've been watching for some new info on this and would like to know if you can give some info ;)

Okay it took 15mins. but a site finally came up with the -R DL as most say that but then bring you to +R DL :rolleyes:

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Sorry, I can't help specifically with your problem, but Macs definitely can support dual-layer burning. The current Power Mac G5s have dual layer burners in their stock configuration (http://www.apple.com/powermac/). Check out Patchburn like the previous two posters suggested.

10. appleweek thread starter macrumors member

Check out here to find a webstore that has DVD-R DL media. Not cheap (US$6.00/one), but available.

Thanks for the reco on patchburn, but I think patchburn adds support for un-supported drives to OS X. My liteOn is allready fully supported by OS X. The function of DVD-R DL burning looks like it needs to be implementated on the OS side in a software mechanism.

11. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Thanks that's where I ended up going to and after your thread I sent an email to Roxio asking if Toast 7 will support this with/without an update, so when I hear from them I'll post back ;)

12. appleweek thread starter macrumors member

Any official word back from Roxio about -R DL support?

13. petitlo macrumors newbie

avoid Philips DVDR DL

JUst givinig a bad experience I had...

Unable to burn a DL DVD from an ISO image with my Macbook Pro with Philips DVD+R DL...
    Then I bought EMTEC, an it worked perfectly.

Laurent