Does MacBook have sleeping light thingy on front?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applerocks, May 21, 2006.

1. applerocks macrumors regular

Can anyone with a MacBook confirm (or not) that the MacBook has the little light on the front (the one that is on showing the mac is sleeping (by slowing blinking) when the lid is closed).

Thanks,
    applerocks

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yup, its on the front at the right.

Edit: At least I think it is... I swear I saw a video showing where it was but I can't find it anywhere anymore. :(

3. applerocks thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

I didn't see it in any pics, so just wanted to make sure

applerocks

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's that little doohickey to the left of the IR receiver.

5. MB Buyer? macrumors member

Little details

Hi i just want to ask some questions about the little features that may or may not be present in the macbook.

when you charge the macbook, does it have an orange indicator light that goes green when charged like the ibooks have?

also

when you hook up a MB to an external monitor can you rotate the external monitor to portrait mode?

and
    does the macbook go to sleep, and wake up promptly like the ibook?

finally

i know the integrated graphics ... blah blah blah, but can you play old 3d games? quake 3? Call of Duty (1), soldier of fortune 2 etc

thanks!

6. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

It has the orange/green indicator light on the Magsafe power charger.
    The MB sleeps and wakes from sleep promptly.

Dont know about the rest.

7. MB Buyer? macrumors member

thanks that's helpful!

8. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

You can definatly play those older games via bootcamp, I havent tried it myself but I'm almost 100% sure the graphics chip will do the job,

ShadoW

9. firsttube macrumors regular

firsttube

ok, what about newer 3d games with the settings turned down? grand theft auto vice city, and nba live 2006? both about a year old, vice city a bit older.

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Yes.

11. russed macrumors 68000

russed

yup, you will be able to do that, just not in top settings! if you want top settings get something designed for gaming! :)

12. MB Buyer? macrumors member

Thanks - anyone got any idea about the screen rotation ?

13. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i would probably expect not, why do you want to do it anyway? the displays i have seen with this capability generally tend to have windows software to enable it. but hey, what do i know!

14. MB Buyer? macrumors member

widescreens are cool if you use your monitor mainly for video etc, but if you spend most of your time working on text documents - writing essays etc. etc. portrait mode is definately the way to go. since the edu market is part of the macbook's target - it'd be a nice feature.

My PC does portrait mode - it's a feature built into the graphics card driver (radeon 9600pro). I want the MB to replace my PC and my iBook.

Cheers.

15. russed macrumors 68000

russed

aah i see what you mean now. humm i can see the possible benefits. like i said before i think it is software driven. i dont have an external monitor to see what options are avialble when i plug one into my PB. out of memory i think you can choose its position relative to the main screen but you cant rotate it.

16. firsttube macrumors regular

firsttube

cool! ok, i hate to press my luck but what about gta san andreas, a little under a year old or so... will that work at all? Oh yeah, was wondering what that info was based on. Have you seen those games running on that chipset or is that an educated guess? Thanks.

17. firsttube macrumors regular

firsttube

However, in windows (on my imac specifically) you can choose the resolution of the 2nd monitor, and there are several vertical resolutions as well. So it's entirely possible that you could find a utility that lets you choose a similar 2nd monitor resolution in os x.

18. erickg macrumors 6502

As a point of reference, I was able to do the screen rotation with my iBook G4 1.33 GHz connected to a 20" Dell widescreen at full resolution (w/ screen spanning hack enabled). While it slows things down considerably, it is a feature that is built into OS X I believe, so it should be possible. The only problem might be if the MBs video card doesn't support this function.

19. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, my G4 PB with the ATI 9700 lets me rotate my dell screen quite nicely. i thought that was a system feature available to all macs.

20. MB Buyer? macrumors member

yeah i believe it's built into Tiger ... if the graphics card (chip? whatever) supports it.

21. firsttube macrumors regular

firsttube

is it just an option in the Displays preference or what? I'm just wondering what it looks like when there's a 2nd display in os x, something I have yet to experience.

22. firsttube macrumors regular

firsttube

or lack thereof :(

23. designed macrumors 6502

designed

I'm using an Intel iMac 20" with my old 18" flattie and it works great. I just checked up and rotating/pivoting the display is (of course) an existing feature in Tiger, so no need for extra software.

I seem to recall that the MacBook did support spanning by nature (as do the other Intellimacs with the exception of Mini since it only has one display connector) when I checked the specs out from Apple's site.

24. MB Buyer? macrumors member

yes the macbooks do support spanning according to apple's site, which is good - no more firmware hacks :D ... i don't know whether the MB's integrated graphics will let me do it though?

25. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I know that my Dell desktop with integrated graphics does support screen rotation, the Intel graphics has it's own utility that allows you rotate the display.

Not sure if it'll work on the OS X side tho'.