does macworld magazine suck?

Discussion in 'Community' started by coolshot125, Aug 11, 2002.

?

Does MacWorld magazine suck?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2002.
  1. Yes, die MacWorld!

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, it's my favorite!

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. MacWorld? Is that a section of Disneyland?

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. coolshot125 macrumors newbie

does anyone else here think macworld magazine sucks? isn't just the same regurgitated crap they print out year after year?!

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think MacWorld has a great deal of information and some strict review ratings, which I like. These guys do get into detail, as they should. However, these guys have little sense of humor, which makes the magazine less interesting.

You can bet your ash that I like MacAddict much more. MacAddict has a practical sense of humor and a quality CD w/ each issue. However, I liked it better with Max showing the ratings and "Freakin' Awesome" through "Blech!", along with their old MacAddict logo. This new one makes the magazine, IMO, look older. Sure, the magazine has become more modern-looking with its ratings and font beside the rating, but I think that kid of takes away from the comedy factor.

3. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

MacAddict is a better read. To bad it's so e$pen$ive!

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Even though I've never read a single issue of Macworld in my life, I voted yes because I was feeling mean. :)

5. awrc macrumors regular

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

awrc, you need to represent the Demi's in a not-so-spamful manner. You know better. :rolleyes: :p

My father has gotten subscriptions (he even has the first issue in above avg. quality somewhere) to MacAddict for a while. He also has gotten MacWorld subscriptions for a long while, back to before Addict, I think.

7. awrc macrumors regular

Hmm, turns out I do read Macworld, or at least my wife's been getting free copies of it for some reason.

It's...not bad. Seems to cover all sorts of stuff, which reminds me of magazines that I used to read in Ye Olde Days - some Atari ST title I liked, and before that Atari User and Your Spectrum :D

When I switched to the PC I got a nasty shock - the market seemed to be bisected into one of two types. First, there were magazines of the "Generic Home PC Shopping User" variety, which had glossaries of any words with more than two syllables, reviews of garden planning software, articles on "10 Great Things To Do With Your Scanner!" and lots and lots and lots of tiny little ads for companies that all seemed slightly dodgy.

Then there were the "Mad XTreme Bastard PC Gamer" magazines, apparently run by and for 14 year olds, featuring glowing reviews of early alphas of games that would never be released (degree of glow depending on how much advertising revenue the publisher of the game generated) and big 2 page full color ads containing maybe a couple of tiny screenshots and a large photo or picture of a woman of ludicrous proportions and notable anatomical detail almost wearing a leather and/or rubber skintight outfit, usually accompanied by equally sophisticated hormone-driven ad copy.

Next to those, MacWorld is classic literature. Dry, out-of-date compared to what you can find on the web, but not totally worthless.

(Was that less spamful, King Cobra?)

8. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Read them both...

I agree that MacWorld is a lot dryer and less interesting. Though you might check out Chris Breen on the CD. Some of his clips (espically the one on Spam) are really good.

But to me there is a bigger problem that keeps me away from both magazines. I always find the print media woefully behind when it comes to computers. By the time the 17" iMac hits the cover (this month?) it is old news (to me).

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

my god...u guys truely have nothing to do... :rolleyes: ;)

I like MacWorld...I don't care for MacAddict too much though...aside from being overpriced...it's full of crap that I care not to read about...

10. awrc macrumors regular

Like I said, I'm never bored. Plus it's a Sunday afternoon, I'm housebound due to my broken leg, and I'm trying to keep quiet because my wife's sleeping in the next room. My options outside posting here are decidedly limited right now :)

11. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I subscribe to MacUser Magazine in the UK - a special subscription deal at £1 per issue (couldn't miss that opportunity). I do like UK MacWorld - a nice thick issue, full of informative information, with a decent cover disc. MacFormat is another magazine I sometimes get - I'm still trying to decide whether to subscribe to that one, though (at £5.99 an issue, it's a bit steep - although you do get 2 cover discs).

We occasionally get MacAddict over here, but it's too localised to the US - and doesn't give much info for products (and no serious Q&A for problem solving...)

All-in-all, considering the amount of PC magazines there are out there, the more Mac magazines to spread the good word, the better I say...

:D

12. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Spam Police: "Woo! Woo! Woo! Woo! Stand up and get away from the computer right now!"

Enuff ov da upid poles!
    LoL. :D

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

And you think reviving the women contest over and over again in the end to have it closed down for a purpose wouldn't be called spam? What do you call it then? :D :p

14. coolshot125 thread starter macrumors newbie

btw, what did god make first; threads or spam?

15. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i think the reason i dislike macworld is that much what they say is flat out wrong. i think there is more mac knowledge here than on the staff at macworld and frankly i dont think too highly of the knowledge base here!

i have the free macworld subscription now that came with my computer and it is painful to read. the things that is written in that magazine is terrible. its funny too because people often say that you shouldnt trust what you read on the internet, but id trust just about any macwebsite (spymac even) more than i trust anything written in macworld.

16. graydecember macrumors member

back in 1990, maybe it was good

BTW, does anyone remember Macweek.com? I was mortified when it was absorbed into Maccentral. MC sucks a**holes; I haven't looked at that site in 18 months or so- but I thought Macweek was wonderful- the news items were compelling, the layout was good, the opinions interesting.

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I used to enjoy macworld, and even had a subscription for a few years. Then they stopped using protective sleeves for the cd's... I know it may not seem lick much of a big deal, but when you fork over good money for a magazine, you expect the cd to be intact (and free of scratches). MacAddict spends the few extra cents to put the cd into a sleeve (even a plain white one would work for macworld). Every other magazine that I pick up, puts their cd's into some kind of sleeve or case. macworld is the only one that doesn't. They also charge you more if you want to get the cd with your subscription, all others just include the cd with the magazine (and don't charge any more).

macworld USED to have good information, but over the past few years too much of it has gone to pot...

18. wake up Jobs!!! macrumors regular

I like macworld but they have few stories and toomany adds.

-GaBe-

19. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

most magazines nowadays have very full of ads. i have a friend who when he gets a new magazine he goes through and tears out all the ads that are a full page front and back. most of his magazines end up 1/4 to 1/2 their original size. it is pretty amusing to watch, especially when you dont know what he is doing.

20. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Funny. I say the same thing about MacWorld. :D. Seriously tho, I used to subscribe to them and I have issues dating back to 1990 but they were just too bland and boring except for those old David Pogue articles.

21. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

ive seen the uk version (they have it at my local b&n for some reason..) and i think its a whole lot better than the us version...

22. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

My main complaint about "news" magazines like MacWorld MacAddict is that by the time they get them out to print, the content is a month old.

I got my copies of the current MacWorld and MacAddict last week, and everything was about MacWorld Expo...hmmm, that was over 3 weeks ago.

We get rumors and news in "real-time" on the web. Realistically, the magazines should move to online subscriptions so that their content is at least somewhat up-to-date.

The main thing I read them for is product reviews and any how-to or tutorial stuff that interests me.

23. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I buy it, since they have an Australian only magazine which MAC Addict doesn't, so that why I buy it and it has some good reviews and they have a good design section which is great,

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

MacWorld was better when it was merged with MacUser, which was great. The ...World magazines were always a bit heavy on advertisements and light on editorial content. Since I bought a PowerMac recently, Apple offered a 12 month subscription to MacWorld and I requested it. Shortly afterwards, I received a request from MacWorld to subscribe for money.

Lifting one from the newstand shelf was amazing. It's probably a third of the size it was two years ago. Fewer ads?

25. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have had a few of their free subscriptions since I decided to NOT renew the pay one (side benefit of purchasing new Mac's and registering them). After an issue or two, you get the renewal form in the mail (they assume that you will pay for it after only a few issues :rolleyes: ). They continue to send notices until they finally give up (seems like forever).

As for the thinner mag... I think they have reduced the quality of the articles, and the number of advertisers has also dropped...

They would stand a good chance of getting me to subscribe again, IF they would protect the cd's and make sure that they don't fall out of the bags. A 2¢ cd sleeve, and a dab of glue is all it would take... Knowing how they are though, they would probably increase the issue cost by $1 for the newstand, and at least $.50-$.75 for subscribers... Those stinkin rat bastards.