Does Max Payne Suck or Rock?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mangoman, May 16, 2003.

1. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Want to buy this one (or trade for my Medal of Honor CDs). Anyone have it? And are you running it on a decent setup? Say, 800MHz plus with a fatter vid' card?

2. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Re: Does Max Payne Suck or Rock?

I have it for PS 2. It's cool, but EXTREMELY hard to get control of. There's so many buttons to press for each movement and I could never get the hang of it. Bullet time is cool, and hard to master because you can only dive in one direction, you can't roll or twist to a side while diving, so you need to be lined up exactly before diving and then shooting.

It's cool, I guess you want it for the PC, too bad you can't rent PC games like you can consoles, that's how I weed thru them all.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I had it on Windows, ran it on a Duron 850 with 32 MB video card and it ran fine. I haven't seen the Mac version so I can't tell you how well it will perform. But I didn't have any trouble controlling it, I guess the mouse makes it easier than on a PS2.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

My friend loves the game, but I am not familiar with it.

5. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

PS2 only...

I've played it on PS2 and it was awesome. I'm sure the experience will be the same on the Mac. However Kid Red is right, there are alot of buttons and controls. But if you play it enough, you'll get the hang of it.

6. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

sure Max Payne was a good game. but that was 2 years ago. it's not exactly a game of exceeding playability.

sure you can go through again at a higher level but that's just strikes me as as exceedingly dull. i think i finished this in 2 nights on the medium setting. i forget. it was 2 years ago after all.

i think however, this is typical these days of Computer games (as opposed to Console games) that don't have a multi-player mode. check out the Adventure Games thread.

7. ThoughtKriminal macrumors member

i have it on my imac, 1ghz g4 and 64mb geforce. its an awesome game, runs without a problem and i havent beat it yet. it was worth the 20 bucks for sure.

8. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Absolutely brilliant game. Have it for my MDD DP and its an absolute beauty. The bullet time thing rocks.

9. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I have max pyne on Xbox and the controls are quite easy to use I thought. This game impressed me not only for it's mucho detail but it actually had a damn good story. The story was haunting and the voice acting was superb. Round it off with a heavy dose of bullet time which is great fun as well and you have a killer game. Definately worth the cash.

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i played the mac version for a little while... didn't get into it that much... not going to say it sucks. but i don't think it "rocks" either.

11. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

12. Zeke macrumors 6502

This game is great. First one I got for my DP MDD 1Ghz. Graphics are beautiful...gameplay is fun. Replayability is not great but it's challenging to up the difficulty. I played every difficulty level and finally beat it. I think I had fun with the game for a month which to me says it was worth the $20 I spent on it. Buy it, definitely worth it IMO.

13. macdong macrumors 6502

macdong

I first played Max Payne on a G3 400 PowerBook, and damn it was smoother than i thought.
    the second time, i played it with my dual 867 PM and animatrix mod.
    quite a cool game.
    for mods, here is a place to get many:

http://maxpayneheadquarters.com/

14. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i like max payne a lot...really fun game...has great replay value in my opinion. it runs ok on my ibook...not fantastic though.

15. Zeke macrumors 6502

Re: Does Max Payne Suck or Rock?

I would be interested in a trade. Let me know...

Zeke

16. mangoman thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Sorry, bro. The trade already happened as far as the Medal of Honor CDs. If you're still interested in other games, just say go and I'll lay out a list of what I have.

Cheers,

Mangoman

17. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

18. Chimaera macrumors regular

Theres a fantastic Kung-Fu mod for the PC version, no idea if it's been ported to mac though

19. WilliamGates macrumors member

Max Payne is one of the best 3rd person games I have played; it is up there with Giants Citizen Kabuto but not quite as good as Jedi Knight II which is totally awsome. MP played well with my 667 DVI Powerbook.

20. macdong macrumors 6502

macdong

most "PC" mods will work on Mac.

21. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I enjoyed Max Payne at first, but lost interest pretty quickly. Never did finish it. It just didn't have the excitement that I want in a shooter.

22. macdong macrumors 6502

macdong

try animatrix mod.
    you can finish the easy level with your two fists.
    and it's quite fun.

23. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Thanks for the tip!