1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Does MBA use battery when it sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MBAForever, Oct 8, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I had read previously that some people had left their MBA for a month without using it and able to resume it without any charge. Supposedly, this was due to the MBA consuming little battery when it sleep.

This morning when I opened up my MBA since the last usage 2 weeks ago, I found that the system was not able to resume at all. Thinking that the battery had depleted, I connected it to a power supply and true enough the display came back to life.

I had remembered that the battery life was left with about 80% before I put it to sleep 2 weeks ago. Therefore I was quite surprised to find that the MBA had been using the battery even when sleeping. Otherwise, what other reasons could've lead to the depleting of the battery over the 2 weeks? I noted that I had a web browser running flash in the background. Could that be the reason why the MBA's battery was used up so much until it got depleted?

2. macrumors member

Did you have wifi and bluetooth on when you closed the lid?

3. macrumors 6502

All Apple laptops use a small amount of battery while they're asleep to keep the contents of RAM alive. Additionally, if you have Wake for Wi-Fi network access on in Energy Saver prefs, it will use a little bit extra listening for wake-up packets. Finally, if you're paired with a bluetooth mouse or keyboard there's a pref to allow them to wake up the computer. Again, it will use some power while sleeping to listen for them.