Does Mighty Mouse mean multiple mouse buttons on future Mac portables?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thequicksilver, Aug 2, 2005.

1. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I'm delighted that Apple have finally seen the light and released a mouse with more than one button. But now they've seemingly accepted that multiple buttons is a good concept, the trackpad on the iBook and Powerbook stick out like a sore thumb.

For me, it grates that I use my own two-button mouse on my iBook, yet whenever I wish to go portable sans mouse, I'm back to one button.

I'm guessing that the next generation of iBook/Powerbooks (quite possibly the first Intel 'Books?) will have a left and right mouse button below the trackpads.

If it happened, for me it'd be yet another reason to jump at an Intel based 'Book the second it was released.

Any thoughts?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I hope not. I've got very used to my one button Powerbook (despite being convinced I needed a 2 button mouse plugged in for the first month or so I owned it). It's useful if I'm doing something left-handed occasionally.

I wouldn't mind something along this mighty mouse idea where it's touch sensitive so the user can choose whether or not they want 2 buttons.

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

well, for me, the one button is fabulous. It allows my hand to lay in any position I want it to and still be able to click the mouse button.
    For me, personally, I find that the ctrl button is so close to the track pad, it's easy to press if I want to bring up the contextual menu.

Even though I DO get some tendinitis inflammation from too much computing, my right hand is surprisingly nice. I think two buttons would kill me. I'd have to be in such a weird posture...

They can pry my one-button trackpad from my cold, dead PowerBook!

...but by then they'll have bluetooth Mighty Mice.. and hopefully a better name. :)

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

If the Mighty Mouse is seriously touch sensitive and no moving clicker, it will be nice and quite (providing you can turn the sound off) for use at night (hehehe) or in a class.

5. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I'm used to the one button now. When ever I use a two button laptop I always eng up pressing the right button instead of the left.

If they do end up making a 2 button click button it would look like it was a one button.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

God I hope so. I hate having to press Control with my left hand while pressing with my right hand, or doing the finger dance with my right fingers.

Perhaps make the right-button 1/3rd the length of the full trackpad button.

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I love one button on my laptop, 2 buttons off. Reason? There is no lag with the clicker and the ctrl key, so that is far easier thea having to situate my thumb in all sorts of places. It becomes far more difficult with a mouse, however...

8. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I doubt it, I see two finger clicking as a better solution for portables.

I'm not sure if the current ibooks/powerbooks give you this ability but iScroll2 certainly does.

9. cube macrumors G4

I need 3. I want nothing of this 2-button Windows lameness.

10. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Good question. I hope so.

I would think new Powerbooks may have a similar touch sensitive one button that detects what side you push. I imagine it could be turned on and off.

iBooks may not come until later, I figure this would be included in pro lines first.

Just my 2 cents.

11. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

I've used 1 button mice/laptops for a long time, so 1 button or 4+buttons make no odds to me, except for games of course, but my mac isn't used for that

I will say though, if apple go the same way the PC manufacturers are going (gone?) and have a dozen or so buttons to control things like MP3 player etc. i'll be extremely put off buying one, i like the fact i don't have to worry about accidentally hitting the button that may load safari while I'm in the middle of something etc.

I can scroll, and left click with my right hand, and my left hand naturally falls near the modifiers on the left of the keyboard, so i really don't see a need for it :rolleyes:

However, i know theres alot of people have 2/3 button on the brain, so perhaps have the current setup with 1 button, but a sensitive strip on the top so the mac will know where abouts you are clicking, in theory this should allow you to set how many buttons you have

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

What does this have to do with Windows? Doesn't most PCs come with a 3-button mouse?

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

14. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I love more buttons on a mouse, but not on my powerbook. When lying in bed or travelling by train or something like that the one button is just far easier to use in my oppinion. It's an additional thing why I like my pb so much. I'd not be happy seeing more buttons on a power/ibook, but on the other hand, well, it's apple, they probably come up with something that changes my mind.

15. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Well... seeing as there are so many conflicting opinions, perhaps they could make extra buttons a BTO?

I personally can't stand having more than one button due, in part, to my freakishly large hands :p

16. cube macrumors G4

Which PC laptops have 3 buttons? The only 3-button laptops
    I know are SPARC.

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I hope Apple stays with the one button mouse on their portables or at least the guise of only one button. For me there is something understatably elegant about catching a glimpse of that one smooth button on someone's laptop. It screams Apple louder than any other design feature.

18. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

I don't mind uisng CTRL as the right click.
    Unfortunately for us lefties, there is only one CTRL button on the pbook, and its one the wrong side!

This is actually my biggest gripe in the whole 1 button vs 2 button debate.

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

they should do a mighty mouse style button, where by default it's one button but you can configure the left side to be right click.

20. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

??????

Don't you people realise the current powerbooks and ibooks already have 2 button functionality?

The scrolling touchpad allows you do simulate a right click if you put two fingers on the touchpad and click.

21. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

:eek: What the....!?

Are you sure? Just tried it, and it doesn't seem to work.
    Is there a setting you gotta turn on?

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Double :eek::eek:,
    I just tried it and scoped system prefs. Are you pulling our legs?

23. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I know of the two finger scrolling, but can't recall the two finger click method. I'll have to give it a go, but I can see it working actually.

24. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

In fact, just did a quick google search for it and it appears to work. Would make more sense than having two mouse buttons on the books, (awkward using one, never mind two).

25. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

The two-finger click is functionality that iScroll brings. I can't be arsed to find a link but you can google it for yourself.