does my dual 2.0 ghz g5 have 1gb ethernet

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by audi25, Dec 28, 2003.

1. audi25 macrumors newbie

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Ethernet: The computer has a built-in Ethernet port for 10Base-T/UTP, 100Base-TX, or 1000Base-TX Gigabit operation. The Ethernet port is auto-sensing and self-configuring to allow use of either a cross-over or straight-through cable. For more information, see “Ethernet Port”.

3. audi25 thread starter macrumors newbie

so that would mean that if i want to lan with a pc it would need a 1000mb lan card and we would need a 1gb crossover cable .

4. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

audi25: If you LAN with a PC, they will automatically run at the speed of whichever computer has the slower Ethernet. All Gigabit Ethernet ports (on any computer) will run at 100 Mbps or even 10 Mbps if necessary. You'll sometimes see Gigabit Ethernet called "1000/100/10 Ethernet".

Edit: To answer your question, you do not need a special cable to run at 1000 Mbps and you do not need to have a gigabit card in the PC, although the connection will run at 100 Mbps instead of 1000.

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

No, it's all 3. 100 should serve you fine.

P-Worm

6. audi25 thread starter macrumors newbie

soo what is the best way to transfer huge amouts of data (20 gigs). thats why i wanted to use gb ethernet. should i just use the command k option or should i set up an ftp.

7. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

What is the speed ethernet on the other computer? If I were you, I would use firewire

8. audi25 thread starter macrumors newbie

well the current speed of the other pc's ethernet is 100mb thats why i was interested in 1gb. but it also has firewire.
    But if i could get a 1gb nic for the pc then would i also need to find a 1gb cable ?

9. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I think all ethernet cables are generic and will work at all speeds. I would just stick with firewire though.

10. audi25 thread starter macrumors newbie

how much is a firewire cable . and should i set up an ftp server or just use the command k option because i have heard that panther has problems with networking with a pc.

11. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

If you turn on windows file sharing, you go on the mac and can connect to server in OS X, then type in the PC's ip adress. Also, scratch the firewire comment I said.

12. loveshismac macrumors member

First if you buy a gigabit nic for the pc you will need to have a CAT6 ethernet cable and a gigabit hub/router/switch. or a CAT6 crossover cable

Not every ethernet cable is capable of 1000tbase.

the easiest/cheapest way is firewire.
    Anybody know if you can use firewire disk mode to mount a mac as a disk on a PC?

Works great between 2 macs but never tried it to a PC
    good luck

13. audi25 thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome, thanks for clearing everything up. i just ordered the firewire cable from the link above. where can i find out if i can mount a drive on a pc.

14. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Isnt CAT5e for gigabit?

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I thought it was CAT6 for gigabit. I am not too up on networking, I have heard that CAT5e is supposed to be "optimum" for 100 from the IT at my school but they aren't the brightest apples of the orchard.

16. audi25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anybody know if you can use firewire disk mode to mount a mac as a disk on a PC? if soo how do you do it ?

17. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

I would guess not. Target Disk Mode should act just like a firewire hard drive, Windows won't be able to read the Mac OS Extended file system.

18. Versello macrumors regular

It will work with gigabit.

19. Plissken macrumors newbie

you cannot use Target disk mode and mount the Mac on the Windows PC, this will not work period. If you are going to use firewire, which is not what i would do, you need to use IP over Firewire which i know nothing about but its been discussed around here somewhere before. just use any ethernet cable you have or the cheapest one you can buy. who cares if you only get 100mb because thats what the PC has, unless you planning on sitting there and watching every kb transfer 100mb will do. just pop in the ethernet cables, assign the pc and mac static ip's, turn on Windows File Sharing, and command k to PC. Start transfer, open beer, turn on TV and wait a little bit. simple, easy.

20. audi25 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i think thats what ill end up doing. thanks for the help.