Does my G4 have a virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pugdawg1, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Pugdawg1 macrumors member

I get my mail through netscape.. and I checked my email today, I see two returned emails I didn't send, and I also see this in another email to me from "NAV for Microsoft Exchange-INVUS2<NAVMSE-INVUS2@Invus.com>:

Recipient of the infected attachment: Lake, Leslie\Inbox
    Subject of the message: Re: Approved
    One or more attachments were quarantined.
    Attachment report4.pif was Quarantined for the following reasons:
    Virus UNAUTHORIZED FILE was found.
    Name:
    Type: application/ms-tnef
    Encoding: base64

What on earth do I do?

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hm, well, I'd guess that whatever email server you sent this to has an automatic blocker for any files who extension don't match a preset list of approved files. My mother in laws work email system is like this... she can get Word docs, for example, but not .zip files.

I would try changing the file extention to something generic, like .txt, and retry it, with instructions for the recipient to change the filename back to .pif.

I doubt you have a virus, as far as I know there aren't any in the wild for OS X...

Rob

EDIT: The UNAUTHORIZED FILE bit makes me 99% sure that's what happening... my suggestion SHOULD work... if not, see of the recipients have an alternate address you can try, something like gmail or yahoo...

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I doubt your Mac is infected, but you can pass along previously infected files that have been sent or forwarded from a Windows system - had you attached files which came from somewhere else? To be clear: Macs can forward PC viruses but aren't affected by them.

4. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Here is what I think happened. Someone running windows had you in his address book. He got a virus, which sent out emails from every name from his address book.
    I can't remember the specific virus name, but this type is very common in the windows world.

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

There's tons of virus's that will do just that, and it is definately possible to spread them while not being infected yourself... however, if you look at the line " Virus UNAUTHORIZED FILE was found" I'm pretty certain that is just that file type is blocked on the recieving email server. Otherwise there would be a virus name in that space. I'm not sure what a .pif file is, but it's either not on the allowed attachments list, or it's on a specifically disallowed attachment type list.

Try what I suggested and report back. I wouldn't be worried about anything at all, as I am still 99% sure that this is the problem.

6. KCK macrumors regular

This is probably what is going on. All the time I get Emails from people who say " I got an email from you and it contained a virus". I always take great joy in replying that since I use a mac and there are no know viruses for my operating system it didn't come from me. Then I explain spoofing of the from address and how someone else has the infected computer.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Oh, duh, sorry, I didn't realize that these were emails you DIDN'T send. :eek: I misread your first post...

Anyways, ya, the above poster is right, if you didn't send them, that is what is happening. If you had sent them, then I would follow my advice, but, ya, it's late, I'm dumb :D ,

Rob

8. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Ya, Iv'e seen this a few time as well. Emails I didn't send bouncing back with virus warnings, not much you can do. I guess thats the downside to being a Mac user in the windows world. Its a lot like standing near someone pissing into the wind. It might not be your doing, but you're still going to get hit with the spray.

9. Pugdawg1 thread starter macrumors member

LOL.. thank you. And thanks everyone else for your quick replies. I had a brief panic attack. :eek: I'm OK now. :)