Does mY ipod have a heating issue or is it just how all of them are?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by G5orbust, Oct 4, 2002.

1. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

My ipod had been charging for about 1.5 hours when i take it out to see how its doing. First, it is almost to hot to handle. The plastic felt like it was about 120°F and the metal back felt like 150°F. The bottom part of the screen was also darkened a little (which I fixed by adjusting the contrast quickly and then turning the backlight on and off very quickly)

It has become burning hot almost every time I charge it and I was just wondering if it is just normal to have a hot ipod or if I need to take it in to an Apple certified technition for further analysis.

thanks for the help.

2. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

DOnt charge your ipod via the firecable while your computer is on. If you do, the ipod gets hot and the hard drive spins (hold it to your ear, you can hear it do so). If you have a laptop, you can close the lid and charge off the comp without running the drive and getting hot.

3. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Whoa thanks man. I never knew taht it worked like that. Ill remeber this next time i need to charge it. Shouldnt apple have a warning about this tho..??:confused:

4. newmanium macrumors member

seems intermittent though. my ipod also gets just as hot as you describe, but after each charge i make it go through (with my imac on), it seems to heat up less and less. they're right by saying the hard drive continues to spin while connected to the computer and results in warming the ipod, but i believe it is still safe or Apple wouldn't be advertising it :)

my solution would be that whenever you plug in ur ipod, make sure it is on a cool, flat surface such as a desk or text book; something that will help dissipate the heat since it alot the heat from the processor comes out from the back of the ipod.

5. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

When you close the top, the comuter will go to sleep...therefore you cannot charge your iPod!!!! ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

At any rate..... This is normal so don't worry about it.... it is supposed to get warm!!:D

6. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Not warm, my friend, but hot enough to fry an egg on its chromated back.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

When I have my iPod plugged to my iBook to a wall and close the lid, the iPod ain't charging.

Yes, the iBook gets red hot after being charged via a computer. Big deal. Yes, I can see a darker contrast line, but big deal.

You can keep the iPod in a plastic bag in a refrigerator for 10 minutes to cool it down and not void the warranty. I've kept the iPod in a frig. for 5 minutes w/o a bag and for about 10 minutes in a bag, and nothing bad happened. You could probably keep the iPod in a freezer for a few minutes and not void the warranty. Just make sure the iPod is off, and keep it dry, or your iPod will get very cold very fast. :eek:

It's really nothing to worry about. :cool:

8. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr