Does my Mac actually have a virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by johnbro23, Feb 25, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I've been having a number of problems lately, that I thought were behind me ever since I switched.

1. Preview and Safari won't open. Thats the most annoying, I really want to use preview. Their icons pop up in the dock then fade right back out (as if I quit them or something).

2. Mail is doing something messed up (see attachment)

3. iTMS won't let me log in

I've had few problems like these, and it seems odd that they all came up at once.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix them? (especially #1)

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

You mentioned an attachment, but there isn't one. I assume you had a screen shot you wanted to share. I can't think of anything off hand that might cause this, but there is always the old Archive and Install OS X if you can't think of anything else.

Rob

3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Try repairing permissions - or cleaning out your plists....that should help. There could be something wrong with the port settings (like firewall turned on every port)

kyle

4. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Anyone else?

I forgot the attachement. Here it is.

Attached Files:

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it seems as if your preferences have been corrupted, or your permissions are screwed up, open disk utility from the utilities folder in your applications folder, run repair persmissions, if that does not work, do a search for the apps by name in the finder, and their .plst files, trast, it will get rid of your preferences, but might help, let us know if any of this works

6. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Someone on SpyMac told me to reinstall OSX (after doing some othe stuff first) and the reinstall fixed everything.

Kinda weird... maybe I got the first ever Mac virus? Do I get a prize?

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, you did not have a virus. Think about it for a minute. There are no MacOS X viruses in the wild. There are no rumors of MacOS X viruses in the wild. If such a virus existed, this forum and every other Mac fan site, rumor site, every Windows-centric site, and every Linux site would be dominated by talk of the first MacOS X virus. What are the chances of your getting the first MacOS X virus? Where would you get it?

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Did you do any type of hacks or osx or add software shortly before the problems started happening? Even the smallest piece of software can corrupt things depending on what it is and who designed it. I would look to that for the cause- definately not a virus (Hoping this is not the first look at one...I am sure it isn't but doesn't a virus HAVE to start someplace first...there HAS to be a FIRST infected person:eek: ...but really this is not a virus)

good luck