Does my new Mac have special powers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thehickoks, Dec 7, 2006.

1. thehickoks macrumors newbie

When I use Iphoto to download and view my photos from my camera they look great...

However, when I use another program such as Firefox they look a bit washed out and lose their vivid color you get when viewing them in iphoto or the Mac preview app.

What is going on here? It's not just firefox, it's other apps as well...

Also when I reboot, log into xp on my macbook, and download the photos from the camera they do not have the vivid color and great look founded when I view the photos in Iphoto.

Any ideas?

One more thing - I took a photo, exported it out of iphoto - ran it though Adobe PS Elements on the XP side to create a web album, posted the web album to the website, and then downloaded the photo (which had been processed via adobe PS E) into Iphoto and it had lost it's vivid color it started out with (had vivid color when it was exported).

I am totally lost and it's driving me nuts...

Please help if you can...

2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

I'm going to guess color profiles and/or meta data with your images. I don't really deal with iPhoto a lot so I don't really know, just sounds like iPhotos displaying the images with other information to saturate and/or enhance the image.

3. Yakamoto macrumors 6502

Ok, it's pretty simple.
    When you import a photo into iPhoto, it will have a color profile of either
    sRGB1996, or AdobeRGB1998 in most cases. If you have not adjusted your
    ICC profile in System Prefrences it should be Generic RGB. Simply change the
    Profile on your mac to the sRGB1996 profile, if you will be viewing on the web, or Adobe RGB 1998 for print. Also when doing in "PP" work you might want to change the color managment profile to which ever you choose on the mac side of things. Another trick would be the save for web feature in PS-E, but I find it too loses the omph of the original. Here's a link that might help http://www.apple.com/pro/color/

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes -- you position it on your lap for an extended period and it gains the power of birth control... ;)

5. Yakamoto macrumors 6502

LOL :D "That's Great":D :D

6. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

OMG! funny!

7. thehickoks thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not see where I would change it to sRGB1996... where is this setting?

8. Yakamoto macrumors 6502

Go to system prefrence/display or monitor/color. There should be a check box for only this system (uncheck it). It will also give you the option
    of changeing it manually.