Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alielizadubois

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I bought a macbook about 2 months ago, and though this may seem like a silly question, I don't know if it has a dvd burner (or even a cd burner for that matter!).

I bought the blackbook right of the shelf in an Apple store.

Thanks!

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
I bought a macbook about 2 months ago, and though this may seem like a silly question, I don't know if it has a dvd burner (or even a cd burner for that matter!).

I bought the blackbook right of the shelf in an Apple store.

Thanks!

putting it simply.

they can all watch cd's and dvd's. they can all burn a cd.

if it is the cheapest white one then it cannot burn dvd's.

if it is the more expensive white one or the black one it can.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Great!

Thanks for the replies....

Now I just have to figure out how to use it...

Any suggestions?
It depends what you want to do with it.

For data storage just open finder with a blank DVD in the drive, drag the stuff you want to burn into the disk icon on the left, and press 'Burn'.

Some people use Toast, but I have no experience with it for burning movies etc.

Good luck :)

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
Great!

Thanks for the replies....

Now I just have to figure out how to use it...

Any suggestions?

For backing-up, create a burn folder and drag your files to it. Insert the blank DVD and press burn in the burn folder.
For movies, export the movie from iMovie HD to Quicktime and import that Quicktime file into iDVD and burn the movie.

alielizadubois

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
For backing-up, create a burn folder and drag your files to it. Insert the blank DVD and press burn in the burn folder.
For movies, export the movie from iMovie HD to Quicktime and import that Quicktime file into iDVD and burn the movie.

Ok, this is probably annoying, but I have no idea how to do that.

If noone wants to explain, could they direct me to a website with instructions??

Sorry!

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
Ok, this is probably annoying, but I have no idea how to do that.

If noone wants to explain, could they direct me to a website with instructions??

Sorry!

For the first one, go to File and press New Burn Folder. Drag all the files you want to back-up into that folder. Go in the Burn Folder and you should see a burn button underneath the search on the top right of the folder window. Inject a blank DVD and press burn.

For the second one, in iMovie press Export and there should be a menu for Quicktime. Export the movie as Quicktime format to the desktop and open iDVD. Drop the Quicktime movie underneath the Travel Main, insert a blank DVD and press the burn circle located to the left of Themes section.
For more questions about iDVD, check this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.