Does Nintendo not think 2 people will use the same DS?

Discussion in 'Games' started by bowens, Oct 25, 2006.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

A month or so ago I picked up a copy of Mario Kart DS and found out that you can only have 1 player profile. Well, my wife and I both play this game and now I'm stuck driving a car with a pink heart on the front of it.

Yesterday, I bought true swing golf. I know my wife will want to play this game too, but I can't find anywhere to create another profile. I don't want her going in and messing up my tournaments and stuff. Does Nintendo think that every person who plays a DS has their own personal one?

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, I'm sure they aren't explicitly deisgning things around a one person one DS model, but on the other hand they (obviously) aren't making games around a multiple user per DS concept.

I'm assuming this is the case as a portable system is somewhat of a personal item. It's not like a console where it's connected to a 'public' TV, has multiple controller ports, etc. It's a self contained system that generally belongs to one person. Other people may use it, but typically it's not thiers - they're just borrowing it.

3. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Buy her a DS and her own games. Then you two can battle each other.

4. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

I have thought about that, but I don't know if she'd play it enough that she needs her own. I don't know. I might get her a pink one for Christmas. Are game saves saved on the DS or on the game itself? If I got her a DS could she play my Mario Kart game and have her own profile or would it pull my profile off the card?

5. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

This is not a Nintendo only issue. Unfortunately, many developers travel that path when it comes to handhelds. While I don't mind too much when "action" games like Mario Kart support only a single profile, I found it restrictive that Dragon Quest Heroes, a RPG, only had one save/profile slot. That meant that I couldn't save to try something and come back. I couldn't also have a friend try it out. Also, I can't start a new game without deleting my precious "everything unlocked" save file. Bummer.

6. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

it all depends on the game. some games allow multiple profiles others do not. To my knowledge, profiles are saved to the game itself and not in the system. However, when you use wi-fi (on the DS lite) your profile is saved to the system also... not allowing you to use that game over wi-fi on another DS.

The DS's aren't "too" expensive so buying her one is an easy solution. Since they have the downloadable game option you can do that when you want to play against eachother if she doesn't really like the game enough to have her own copy.

7. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

The DS isn't expensive at all. PS3, now that's expensive.

8. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

I think it would be silly to buy two copies of the same game just so she could create a profile though. I could see buying her a ds so we could play multiplayer but to have to buy a second copy of all my games, that's a little bit much.