Does OS X do runlevels?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jeremy.king, May 24, 2006.

1. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Essentially, can I run OS X (Tiger) in a multi-user text based mode similar to linux?

I am planning to turn the mini into a headless development server and don't need the overhead of all the GUI stuff running and don't want to hassle with installing linux. I'd still prefer to use launchd to startup my services...

Of course, I will have to get a MacBook first before any of this happens. :)

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. jeremy.king thread starter macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Yes, I could but thats just another OS - something I am trying to avoid. ;)

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ah.. I see. I see what you mean now. Not sure if the "run console only" trick still works with Tiger.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm fairly certain you can boot OSX to a text console. But it's not done via RunLevels!

If you can't running the login window does not take any significant amount of CPU time. It will take some RAM but not a lot. Simply enable the ssh server and away you go!

6. jeremy.king thread starter macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Doesn't the WindowServer and its children, not to mention Finder actually load before you even login. I'll have to check.

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I don't think so. At least it doesn't seem like they do, based on the wait time for Finder to load and the menubar to be populated after I log in.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Darwin is not another OS. It is the CLI-based OS which is the foundation of MacOS X. It is what you run when you boot into single-user mode. It is what you run the Terminal. With a few exceptions, Darwin is the OS that you run when you use X11-based apps.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think what he meant is that installing OpenDarwin would mean a wipe/partition/reinstall of everything in order to get it running. And I suspct he just wanted to see what could be done with a vanilla Tiger install.

10. jeremy.king thread starter macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Im well aware of what Darwin is...Ultimately its another OS, different conventions, different commands...Would you argue that all the Linux versions are the same OS since they use the same kernel? I wouldn't

Back on topic - allow me to clarify - I don't want to re-install anything if I don't need to.

I have found old hacks for OS X, such as this one but I don't know if it applies anymore. My hope was that someone is already doing this in Tiger and happens to read this post...

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm 99.9% sure that Finder is spawned only for specific user logins; it is just an app, after all, and multiple simultaneous logins spawn multiple copies of it, so I can't imagine why (or even how) it would load at the login screen.

I'm not as certain about WindowServer; it might be required to draw the login window, and it doesn't run as any user.

12. jepjepjep macrumors member

Yes, you can boot to command line

Yes, you can boot to the console with OS X for a server environment. That is exactly how I use my mac mini (http://papac.homeip.net) running Tiger. My system boots directly to the console without launching the gui. I have a startaqua script in my home directory that will start the gui.

It's fairly easy to do, but it does not use runlevels like linux. Just follow the steps here:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030716220410216&query=/etc/ttys

I'm not sure how to get virtual consoles like a linux box, but you can use ssh to remote login multiuser.

13. jeremy.king thread starter macrumors 603

jeremy.king

jep^3, thats similar to what I have been seeing. Knowing that this is how you do it makes me feel more confident.

Thanks.

14. jeremy.king thread starter macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Doesn't seem to work in Tiger. Reading the other comments in that thread indicated others have the same problem. My "Starting Mac OS X" screen just keeps going... I even let it run for about 15 mins. I think thats just how you do it in Jag/Panther.

Of course, like a bonehead, I forgot that in single-user mode that the filesystem mounts readonly. A quick google and I remembered you have to do a 'mount -uw /' command to remount the root with write permissions...Just a quick tip in case someone stumbles on this.

Also, I think that Apple was going back to a more traditional runlevel approach to startup...I have some research to do.

15. jepjepjep macrumors member

I'm running Tiger. Here is my uname output.

$ uname -a

Darwin nazgul.local 8.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.6.0: Tue Mar 7 16:58:48 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.6.70.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

Did you enable verbose booting (sudo nvram boot-args="-v")? Maybe the graphical boot process is hiding the console prompt.

Here is my /etc/ttys: http://papac.homeip.net/files/ttys

One more thing, when you get to the console you have to start the window server with root privelages.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!