Does OS X keep a log each time it starts up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ump3, Apr 19, 2006.

1. ump3 macrumors member

ump3

Does OS X keep a log each time it starts up? ie: can I find out somehow, how many times and when a Mac was started up over the course of a month?

Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm...that's a toughie... the console.log definitely gets rotated at every restart. Depending on how many times your computer is restarted, you might be able to get your answer this way. In terminal, do this:

cd /library/logs/console/501/
    ls -la

You will see a list of all the console logs -- the one console.log is the log for the current session, and the ones of the form console.log.n, where "n" is a number, are for previous sessions. You will see the date stamp of the log file -- for each file except console.log, that date stamp is when the system was shut down. If you open each of the files, the first entry in the log will tell you when it was started up.

But I'm not sure the system retains more than 10 logs... so if you're restarting your computer more frequently, this won't help. Why anyone would need to restart a mac more than once or twice a month is beyond me, unless there are errors and KP's, but... ;)