Does OS X's migration feature transfer all the data/programs to a new Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by YS2003, May 2, 2006.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I have not used OS X's migration feature before. So, I would like to ask this question. I am thinking about upgrading one of my Macs to MBP in the near future. I would like to move my "Home" folders and some apps (such as Adobe CS2, Macromedia MX2004, MS Office, Page/Keynote, and a few other apps to this new MBP, as I don't want to go through the reinstall again. Does the migration feature of OS X really transfer everything to a new Mac? After the migration is done, is data still kept on the old Mac?

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

Yeap, it does move your apps over too, but I noticed that some apps may need to be reactivated (stuff like iSale for instance)

Oh yes, if you have little snitch installed, do remove it first.

Migrating it over to an Intel Mac will result in instant kernel panics on bootup.

3. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Thanks for the tip. I have Little Snitch installed on my Mac as well. I like this app as it warns me any app which tries to send the info out.

So, it seems I end up going through the activation for my CS2 and MX2004 even if I use the migration feature of OS X for transferring the files to a new Mac.

4. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

It not only works for your bootup volume, but for others as well. If your new Mac has an enormous HD in comparison with your older machine, hook up your external HD and the migration assistant will bring the apps from the external drive over along with the others.

5. Nighteater537 macrumors member

Sorry to steal your friend, but does migration assistance transfer stuff to external drives