Does OSX "learn" your power needs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cattywampus_, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2006
    About 3 weeks ago, in a feeble attempt to solve a stupid problem on my MBP, I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled OSX.

Before wiping the drive - my system kept my external Maxtor hard drive powered all the time, rather than letting the drive spin down and go to "sleep". I thought I did this cause I installed the Maxtor software and then removed it - and thought it was just dodgey settings.

When I reinstalled OSX, the drive started to power down after 15minutes like it is supposed to. But now - the drive doesn't seem to do this. I access the drive all the time. All my music and documents are stored on there.

So could it be that OSX has realised that, "he seems to access this drive on a regular basis so i'll keep the drive awake so its ready to use all the time". Rather then spinning it down, and then when I come to use it, I have to wait 15seconds while it powers up.

I hadn't changed any power settings since it behaved like this so its nothing that I have done that has caused it.
  2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2006
    Not really sure if this would work or not, but it would be a great feature!