Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
You mean an automated way to update the OS? Yes, it's called software update, it's located in your system preferences, and you can set it to check daily, weekly, or monthly, or do it manually. It updates not only the OS, but all of apples programs from FCP to iSync. Rumor has it 3rd party vendors may get access to it in the near future, but thats just rumor. (Of course, why else are we here?)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: Does Panther have an auto update the way XP does?

Originally posted by debo
Does Panther have an auto update the way XP does?
The MacOS has had Software Update since MacOS 9.x. Of course, Windows has had automatic downloading of system updates since Win95.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Like MisterMe said, OS X does not automatically download updates and wait for you to install them like Windows does.

Personally I prefer to install updates manually, and checking for updates one a week is usually sufficient. Although, hanging around here, you'll find out about updates as soon as they happen. :)

Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Like MisterMe said, OS X does not automatically download updates and wait for you to install them like Windows does.

Personally I prefer to install updates manually, and checking for updates one a week is usually sufficient. Although, hanging around here, you'll find out about updates as soon as they happen. :)
Actually, it is a rumor site. You can find out about them before they happen, even if they never happen!:cool:

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Yes like the other people here said it does have a SoftWare update and yes, you can make a schedule of when it runs. Unlike Windows though its not as important to run this everyday or week because there isn't all the security updates on Mac OS X. They are usually released about once a month or so. So its not as crucial to run Software Update on the Mac side.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Don't know how I missed this before...

You can set Software Update to automatically download "important updates" (most likely security fixes and OS updates), which is similar to Windows' auto-update.

Attachments

• softwareupdate.jpg
    softwareupdate.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 178

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Just an FYI for the people on dial-up like me... If want to download one of Apple's huge OS X updates you can do so in the Software Update. Whats even cooler is that you can download part of it and then stop downloading when your not online and when you go back to download the update again it will pick right off where you left it, even if you quit Software Update. I found that out with the Mac OS X.3.2 update! Its a godsend for people on dial-up. It might take me a week to download a 40MB OS X update, but at least with this feature I can do it now! Good thinking Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.