Does Parallels use both processing cores?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by daneoni, Mar 1, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Just wondering if Parallels takes advantage of both cores?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There's a simple way to test this. While Parallels is running, open Activity Monitor and look at the number of threads listing for Parallels. If it has more than 1, it's taking advantage of both cores.

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I don't believe it's multi-threaded at this time.

4. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Yes, it does. I also allows Windows programs to take advantage of both cores as well (given if the programs themselves are written that way)

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

No, I don't think it does. If you have it working on both cores, would you explain how you do that? Because mine only seems to operate on one.

7. Malcster macrumors 6502

No, it doesnt.

From one of the parallels guys on Parallels forum.

1. Current design is very optimal for dual core systems - 1 core for Windows XP, 1 core for Mac OS X - optimal performance for both systems. So I don't see any reason to give Windows XP both cores and left Mac OS X without CPU power.

2. If you take Mac Pro with 4 cores - then it is make sense. We will introduce this feature in next major version - 3.0.

http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=3987&highlight=dual+core

8. islandman macrumors 6502

It doesn't yet. I saw this in their forum before, but I can't find the link. It's supposed to be incorporated into the software at a later date, though.

9. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

I could be wrong (HA, wouldn't be the first). However I thought a single core program would top out at 100% CPU usage? See screen shot.

Attached Files:

• shot.jpg
      shot.jpg
      File size:
      82.3 KB
      Views:
  10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Look at the number of threads. Parallels has 17. Therefore, at least some of the processing Parallels is doing is going to the other core. Remember, a dual-core CPU has 200% CPU time available to allocate (100% per core).

11. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I guess that makes sense. One core for each OS, thats fair enough but with 8 core Mac Pros due....will they be able to make 4 cores for each OS. Now that would be something.

Quad core notebooks, one day....

12. himansk macrumors regular

like many programs, parallels is multithreaded. but it gives the win desktop only one thread/cpu to work with. now parallels itself will be doing other things at the same time, like managing network, coherence, virtual harddisk management, etc etc, hence it has multiple threads for these tasks.