Does Quake 3 Exist for Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by Arcus, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Arcus macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    of my hand will get me slapped.
    I know there is a demo for OS9 but for some reason I cant find the full version of Quake 3 anywhere. Apple made for Mac, Mac Play. Nothing. I must be missing something.
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    it sure does, but its for OS 9, although i believe there is an update that allows you to play in OS X, i havent installed it since getting Tiger though, its hard to find nowadays
  3. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    I found and downloaded Quake III for OS X (I forget the exact name, check and used my Quake III for Windows CD key w/ no problems.

So yes, there's a Q3 build for OS X. And it plays well with its Windows counterparts.
  4. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Mar 16, 2005
    Oxfordshire, UK
    All you need is a CD key and the baseq3 folder more or less, and thats the same for PC or mac

Download this -

and as i remember you drop the contains of a full baseq3 folder into the one in the download, run the app enter the cd key and off you go :D
  5. Arcus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    of my hand will get me slapped.
  6. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Jul 17, 2002
    nar in Gainsborough, me duck
    Yeah there is...its the Quake3-1.32- AltivecTest2.pkg
    You might have no problems installing it, but I did....drove me mad.
    All I got when opening the game after installing was a yellow screen.
    So, if you get the same heres the solution-
    your system must be clear of all previous Q£ files, including the application support ones in your Library. Download the OSX 1.32 update, install it then drag your pak0.pk3 from your Q3 cd. Worked for me.
    Not wishing to hijack your thread m8 but I hate the way it 'feels' in OSX.
    There seems to be some delay between where the crosshairs are and the time the actual shot hits.
    I probably need to tweak mine drastically but I havent played Q3 for 2 years and I LOVED that game, almost to the point of addiction(well, past actually) which is why I laid off of it. Anyone know of any Mac dedicated Q3 sites? Oh, and has Gameranger dropped support for Q3? What is Evill thinking about? If he has that is.
  7. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    Not only a quake 3 port exists for mac, but it is one of the best ports the Mac platform has ever seen. It uses Multiple Processors (one of the few apps that have achieved that) and it is the ONLY game so far that runs at the Mac FASTER than equivalent x86 processors.

You can find it at OS X downloads at