Does Quicktime Pro have a crop filter?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by motulist, Oct 15, 2005.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I have a video I downloaded that has black borders on all 4 sides and I want to re encode with no borders. Does the Quicktime Player Pro have a crop filter?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have QT Pro 7 and see no signs of a crop feature.

3. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

Bummer. It's just another one of those things that makes you wonder where the "Pro" in Quicktime Pro comes from.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Agreed. Most of the $30 features are hackable. Recording videos is cool, but I don't recall if that's Pro or standard.

5. adamchal macrumors newbie

Any progress?

Has anyone found a way to crop movies using a QuickTime filter? I have some that are 352x240, and I want to crop it to 320x240.

6. slagonnee macrumors member

I've used the crop feature in ffmpegX with some success. Don't know if you wanted to stick with Quicktime only.

7. ejtttje macrumors newbie

update to thread

With QuickTime Pro, you can assign a mask from Window -> Movie Properties -> click video track -> Visual Settings tab -> choose mask

Select an image of the same dimension as the movie, with a black box in the area you want to retain, the white borders will be cropped away. You can see a demonstration in this youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKS9wgmZ9Mw

8. qacjared macrumors regular

I hope I am not advertising here or anything. But I do this exact same thing with VisualHub which has a pretty good automatic cropping mechanism. It is $24 USD.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

9. ejtttje macrumors newbie

followup

I should add that I found an easier method for special cases (assuming only QT Pro, dedicated tools like previous post are probably more streamlined still).

During Export, if you use QuickTime Movie for the format, and click options, then click "Size", choose the target dimension, and then check "Preserve Aspect Ratio", and then "Crop" from the drop down, it will scale the movie to fill the image and then crop off what doesn't fit. (So for instance, choosing 640x480 on a 1280x720 image means it scales down to 480 high and then chops off the pillars to "pan-scan" HD 720P down to 4:3 SD ).

FYI, there's a similar size/aspect/crop sequence available if exporting to "raw" MPEG-4 instead of QuickTime Movie.

Of course, this only selects the middle of the image, the masking method lets you grab something off-center.

10. Eriamjh1138@DAN macrumors 6502

Eriamjh1138@DAN

You need a mask

Watch this video on youTube and you can do it in QT Pro.
    How to make a Mask for cropping in QT Pro

I used the above mentioned method and it works, but you have to know what dimensions you are using before you do the export.