Does reinstalling OS X delete all files?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by vand0576, Sep 27, 2006.

1. macrumors member

vand0576

Do I need to back everything up before reinstalling OS X? Or do all my personal files remain where I have put them?

I'm running 10.4.7

2. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you do an "Archive and Install," your files will be preserved. An "Erase and Install" will get rid of everything.

3. Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Yay an other Minnesota Macrumors member :)

No, installing OS X over itself does not delete files.

However
    It would be a good idea to make a backup before the install, that way you are covered if something goes wrong during the install.

::Edit beat by a few seconds ::
    WildCowboy makes a great point. Make sure it is an archive install and you should be good !

4. thread starter macrumors member

vand0576

Will the "archive and install" let me choose what data gets saved? I basically only want things that are in my home folder.

5. macrumors 65816

beatsme

Archive & Install lets you choose to preserve network settings and users, so since your home folder is attached to your user profile, yea it'll get saved.

6. macrumors 6502

would this archive & install be good for reinstalling without all the language packs and stuff?

7. macrumors 65816

Another question, does "archive and install" also backup ur iTunes, address book, iPhoto, Mail, and iCal info too? Sry, i don't know if those things are included in the Home folder.

8. macrumors 68040

trainguy77

Yes, your home folder includes all your personal data. itunes, iphoto, mail all of it.

9. macrumors 6502

Does archive and install leave all of your programs in-tact?

10. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It should, but there could be a chance that something might not work correctly. If that happens, just reinstall the app. See Apple's page on Archive and Install for more info.

11. macrumors 65816

beatsme

I'm pretty sure you have the custom install option on an Archive & Install, so yea, you can ditch the language packs and all that stuff. I didn't install any language packs, and skipped all the printer drivers and a few of the apps I knew I'd never use...front page, iWeb, iChat, iMovie, that comic book thing, etc. Saved me around a 1G of disk space, I think...

12. macrumors newbie

ifro2341

The only thing an archive install deletes is your system account icon, and u also have to install all the system software updates, but those r free

13. macrumors 601

xsedrinam

This lists how to and which files are preserved using Archive & Install feature.