Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Even if you go to the Apple store to complain about battery life they ask if you set your phone up as new or restored from backup.

I just had my battery replaced in my iPhone 5 because the battery life was awful! They would not replace the phone because they now have the ability to replace just the battery and their diagnostic software reported nothing wrong with the hardware or battery.

I would get 1hr 45 minutes of usage and 4 hours standby and my battery would be below 50%. My phone was always dead by 5:00pm and I don't play games or stream videos, mostly email and web pages.

Aside from the statistics, I know my expectations on how long my battery should last based on having a new iPhone every year since 2007. The battery specs for this phone are no worse than previous phones.

I had an iPhone 4s that had bad battery life from the get go and I jumped through all kinds of hoops with the Apple Store like restoring as new and a few other tests before I insisted on a new phone. Their diagnostics showed that the battery and hardware was fine. This was a few back and forth trips to their store which is an hour away. I finally insisted on a new phone and the battery issues were resolved. I'm talking night and day difference! Also, I restored this phone from backup right at the Apple store and the battery life on the new phone was fine.

I hope the new battery in my iPhone 5 does the trick and it was not a hardware issue draining the battery.

Nonetheless, when restoring from backup, aren't you just importing your user data not the old iOS. In fact, after your phone has been restored, it downloads all your apps?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I've had the same backup since my 3GS, 4, 4S to now my 5. My battery is fine. I wish I could've kept it as far back as the first iPhone.

I'm really attached to my text messages. Haha.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I've had the same backup since my 3GS, 4, 4S to now my 5. My battery is fine. I wish I could've kept it as far back as the first iPhone.

I'm really attached to my text messages. Haha.

What's your "Other" memory look like? I read somewhere that text messages stored on the phone will fall under that category.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I've restored from backup iPhone 3G > 4 > 4S 16GB > 4S 64GB and never had any issues with battery life. Sounds like a myth that restoring from backup has an effect on battery.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Does restoring from backup really hurt battery life?
There's no one-size-fits-all answer to your question. If your backup contains an issue affecting battery life then restoring will hurt battery life. If not, no. Everyone's backups aren't all identical, obviously.

dabigone

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
I have the same backup from a 2G pretty much. Went through every iphone and did jailbreaks. I haven't noticed an issue on the 5 after restoring from icloud. On the 4S it did seem to suffer though.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
There's no one-size-fits-all answer to your question. If your backup contains an issue affecting battery life then restoring will hurt battery life. If not, no. Everyone's backups aren't all identical, obviously.

Yes, this is true. However, you would think that if you did not have a battery issue on your previous phone then the restore should not be a consideration for a battery drain on your new one.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I had a bit of a battery issue on my 4S and when the genius replaced it he recommended setting up as new instead of restoring from back. Well I restored from backup anyways and have actually had much better battery life than before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.