Does size REALLY matter?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Xanderxxx, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Xanderxxx macrumors member

Apr 26, 2005
    So i'm seriously hoping to buy an iBook this (or next) month, still trying to save up. I'm thinking of buying the smaller 12 inch iBook (or the Intel iBook if it's 13.? like rumored..) and other than the lack a superdrive, is a 12 inch screen bad at all? Is it too small? I seriously want to save up for a 14 inch one, but I really need a laptop ASAP. I'm currently on a eMac and I can't stand it, it just doesn't work for school because it's not really portable, at all. The laptops they lend us at schools are horrible, they are only held together by tape.

Is the 12 inch too small? Should I make the sacrifice and save up for the 14 inch one?
  2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
    We have them at school and for typing they're OK. But once you go 1920 by 1200, there's no going back. I would wait for the 13.3 inchers.
  3. mopppish macrumors 6502

Nov 27, 2005
    I'm typing this on a 12" ibook right now, and it's totally fine for almost everything I use it for. I feel the squeeze a bit when I'm doing some work in Logic Pro, but everything else is great. I would say that if you intend to do ANY intensive pro work (video, photos, audio, etc.) than you'll probably want a bigger, higher res. screen, for which the next option up is the 15" powerbook as the 14" ibook is bigger but the same resolution. I've got a 17" imac at home for stuff like that.
  4. Morn macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2005
    Size doesn't matter, it's the resolution that you have.;)
    The 14" has a resoluion no larger than the 12" so it's not any better and has inferior battery life.
  5. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I personally found the 12'' screens too cramped for my liking when I was deciding which size to go with. I think the 13'' would be a great compromise, so if I were in your position, I'd wait to see the offerings of the coming month before buying anything. ;)
  6. super_kev macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    I'm typing on a 12" PB right now, and it suits me just fine. The SuperDrive is nice, but not needed. The 15" PB is bigger, but in some cases too big to fit into backpacks with other stuff.
  7. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    I bought a 12'' the same day i gave Apple m iMac G5 17'' to fix and i'm fine with the smaller screen.

note when i get my iMac back i'm going to use both and the same time
    but u can also get an external screen for your iBook
  8. noaccess macrumors 6502

Jun 11, 2005
    I've read somewhere that the 14 incher has the best battery life of all Apple portables :confused:
    Either way, I luv my iBook :D
  9. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    if the choice is 12" iBook vs 14" iBook, go for the 12, it has the SAME screen resolution as the 14 except the 14 is heavier and less portable. but, if you want more screen real estate, go for the 15" pb. . .i have fallen in love with mine.
  10. Daedalus256 macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    christ, what is wrong with your school? Taped up laptops? I think someone needs to stop being cheap.
  11. jblock macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2006
    Given a choice between the 12 and 14, I'd go for the 12. I use it myself with no problems. The text is definitely sharper on the 12. The resolution is the same for both, so the text is just blown up a little on the 14, but it definitely doesn't look as sharp as me. If I need the text to be bigger I just make it bigger in whaterver application I'm working in. Put the dock on the side, or have it hide, and there's enough room for me.
  12. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
  13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    love the ibook, get it then buy an external LCD and plug it thats bliss

14. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    You really need to go see a 12" iBook vs. the 14" in person, it should convince you that the 12" is not so bad. I am typing this on my 12" iBook, and it is extremely convenient for moving around. And other than the Superdrive option, the resolution is the same on both models of the iBook. That was the kicker for me.
    But you really need to see one in person (if you haven't).
  15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I have both a 12" and 14"...I generally prefer the 14" display, but I don't carry it around a lot (mostly just around my house). I know the resolutions are the same, but I can see things better on the 14". That said, I don't really have a problem with the 12" works fine for me.
  16. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    I love my 24" Dell.

I would prefer to Love an apple 23" but Apple don't seem to realise that not all of us are as rich as Steve...:(
  17. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    most women can barely handle 12 inches. 14 inches would be overkill. get the smaller ibook