Does Somebody Have a Case of The Mondays?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, May 30, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Well do you? (And I realize today isn't really Monday, but for most Americans it is the first day back after a holiday weekend.)

Did you/do you get up and go to a job you don't really like?

If so, why do you continue to go, and are you presently looking for something else? Is it the money - the "comfort" factor - benefits?

I'll share mine later, you guys go first. :)

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, given that I had to work yesterday, today doesn't really feel like Monday. OTOH, I have a cold and got about three hours of sleep last night, so it could be Monday...

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I worked yesterday, too. Us damned work at home people. :)

4. Queso macrumors G4

I'm lucky enough to have a job I really enjoy, so I have no problems getting out of bed on a workday.

I do know what you mean though, as it did get that way with one of two of my previous jobs before I went freelance. We all spend so much of our waking time working, it's really important to make sure you're doing something you have a real interest for.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Ask me tomorrow. :D

In fact ask me later this week after the results of my (pay) grade reevalution are known. ;)

I have an intense love/hate relationship with my job but its downsides are easily outweighed by the upsides. Namely:

Almost 100% job security, flexible hours, guaranteed yearly pay-rises negotiated by the union, 30 days leave per year on top of public holidays, nice set of Mac hardware to work with and some autonomy on purchasing decisions.

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Torn

Actually very happy with the job that I have now, and torn this morning because I submitted an application for new job.

Applying for a new job because it's more in line with helping me reach my end goals.

Took this job fresh out of school, as some time off, didn't expect to like it as much as I do.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm still off work. One good thing working for the Gov. is you get stuff like the Queens birthday off and that kind of rubbish.

My wife and I decided to spring clean and de-junk the house.
    We started on Friday afternoon and are about 3/4 done.

But even so I'[m not looking forwad to my sh*t low paid boring job!!

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

It takes me an hour to commute to work. I'm annoyed by that.

I don't dislike my job, not at all. It's relatively easy, pays well, and I'm 19 so I really can't complain. But that doesn't mean I'm wild about going.

I only got 4 hours of sleep last night. Stayed up talkin' to mah baby.

But, yeah, I'm tired and cranky and not in the mood to go to work :).

e

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Really? You should ask Katie for some tips. She's really good with this sort of thing.

*giggles*

10. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Yeah, yesterday (monday) I had 3 exams on. Maths, Physics and Biology.
    I definately had the "monday's"

Ah well, at the end of the day, its all over :) ;)

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i got up prepared to just do rounds 6am-9am. and then i got stuck staying till 230pm due to someone calling in sick.

oh joy :rolleyes:

12. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

OK I'll go. :)

I've had a string of jobs that I loved, but ended up hating over the last few years. I suppose the biggest love/hate job was as an editor for a boating publication, Like BV, I had great benefits, was getting paid fairly well, could pretty much come and go as I please (as long as pubs got to press on schedule) and was generally left alone.

Unfortunately, the publisher did not know anything about publishing, production schedules or realistic timelines. We all joked that he probably thought we pressed "CMD-BOOK" and the book popped out of the back of the computer. I eventually just hated going in there to the point where I was almost physically ill on Sunday night at the thought.

Silly as it sounds, the main reason I had to leave was because I just couldn't deal with this woman that the publisher hired off the street to hand out pamphlets at a boat show - three months later he promoted her to general manager (and she honestly, with all due respect had no idea what she was doing) I worked there for three years before quitting last July. Part of it was envy that I didn't get put at the top (I had been managing editor for three years - imagine how someone just off the street with no experience getting handed the keys would feel). Oh well.

I'm currently working on a big project for a client that is putting a Web site together and I am writing all the copy for it. I hat eevry minute of it. It is boring, tedious and just bleh. Why do I keep doing it? I'm a money whore.

I'm hoping that I can save enough from this job to develop some other ideas I have. Every day is Monday for iGary.

13. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Maybe you should try hypnotherapy :)

14. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

iGary, you seem like a very intelligent guy and the fact that you are working a job you hate for the money to start something of your own puts you ahead of about 90% of people in this country.

This use to amaze me - when I was a teenager, I worked at a supermarket where every day I would hear people complaining about their job, the money, and how they wished they would win the lottery. Nice plan :rolleyes:

15. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Intelligent? I dunno. :confused:

Stubborn jackass? Sure. :eek:

16. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I'd have to say I like my job. There are times when I dislike the people I have to deal with (like consultants who think they know more than you do, but can't decipher simple Java compiler code errors the most basic of programmers would know. Gah!), but for the most part I enjoy the customer interaction and such. I have great co-workers, too, which makes a HUGE difference! Not to mention that the job pays pretty well (well enough at least to where we can survive on my salary while the hubby prepares for the Bar. :D)

17. Queso macrumors G4

iGary, that situation you describe completely sucks. Some people, like by the sound of it this particular lady, get it all handed to them on a plate. She'll probably run that magazine into the ground eventually, although from what you say about the publisher he deserves it. It won't be him suffering though, it'll be the people you used to work with :mad:

Don't get too down about your current situation. It's only short term and will lead to much bigger things.

As we say over here, chip up :)

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Dude, how far back are you guys? It's 1 hour away from being Wednesday up in herre. :confused:

Anyway, I'm getting sick of being a student and can't wait to work. Some people want the same thing, but once they start working, they wish they were a student again ---- hanging with friends, going out, goofing off, parties, quiet nights in with many many close friends, watching a movie, etc. But when I say I want to graduate and start working, I truly and honestly do. :eek: I've been a full time student for almost 23 years now.

So do I enjoy being a student and going to uni on Mondays? I guess so, but I'd rather be in your shoes and go to work, earn a living, save for retirement, and buy things that I want without feeling weird. I'm almost 26 now.

19. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Actually she has been demoted to BOOK SALES since I left, the production manager quit, the art director quit, my assistant editor is now the managing editor (which is cool, he's a good guy) and he hired a new General Manager, who we will probably fire wihtin a year if all happens as it usually does.

Yeah, as for the current situation - at least I have this place for comedy relief during the day. :)

I remember the day I left that place, I had all my Mac stuff for my business delivered to my office there and as I was leaving he said "Gary, is that my stuff?"

I said "yeah, Jack I am walking out with $6,000 worth of your gear right in front of you...get over yourself" Last words I ever spoke to him...

Horrible place. :eek:

20. Queso macrumors G4

Sounds like there's no doubt about this publisher not knowing what he was doing. Why don't you all get together and start a competing publication? Surely with all those defections the advertisers would be interested. Just get the current editor to jump and you're in the running :)

21. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Same here, the only difference being I've only just started uni, with at least four and a half years to go. I enjoy it, but sometimes I just think it would be so great to just find a job somewhere and have the ability to become really independent.

22. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

We have entertained that, or buying him out...many times. :) Unfortunately, the book is the Holy Grail for boaters. The name itself is priceless.

23. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Having heard you talk about your job before, it sounds like any other job - ups and downs. Fortunately, it seems you have apretty nifty niche there, Blue. :)

24. Queso macrumors G4

Always a flaw in every plan....I suppose blackmail is out of the question :D :D

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I empathize with you. I've had a job like that. Dreaded coming into work almost each and every day.

As for my current job. I work harder and longer hours than ever before, but I don't feel like I have a job. I guess you could say that I am enjoying myself a lot these days. :D

Sure beats the other kind of job.