Does Starcraft run on OS X or Classic?

Discussion in 'Games' started by jimthorn, Oct 21, 2003.

1. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

I like Warcraft III, and I've seen Starcraft recently on sale, but I'm unsure if this runs in OS X. I do not have Classic installed and do not use OS 9. Does it run natively in OS X, or just under Classic? Or is there a patch/upgrade that makes it run natively in OS X? And if it runs on OS X, is it easy to install on that system? I am curious because I know the app is old (pre-OS X), and I have limited experience with running older apps on the new OS.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

They have a carbon patch on their site, so yes.

P-Worm

3. jasylonian macrumors regular

alternative installer

i had to get an alternative installer to run starcraft on osx. but it works! unfortunately, i still suck at starcraft.

4. job macrumors 68040

job

Re: alternative installer

Where did you get the alternate installer? I'm in the same situation as you (no Classic/OS9) and can't install since the CD installer is an OS9 application.

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

6. jimthorn thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

This page on Blizzard's site gives instructions. There appear to be patches to support OS X, but not an installer. An installer is provided on their site for Classic, since it looks like the installer on the CD will not run on OS X or Classic. As far as I can tell, Blizzard has not released a native Mac OS X installer, which seems foolish since this should be a fairly trivial thing to make. If I read their page correctly, to set up for OS X you need to install via OS 9 or Classic, install the upgrade patch, and then you can launch the app in OS X. So since I don't have OS 9 or Classic installed, I'm basically screwed.

Unless someone here says different.

7. job macrumors 68040

job

I get an odd error. It says I can't install due to some numbered issue.

I think my previous post regarding Classic/OS9 was a bit mis-leading.

8. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

I had the exact same problem. What I did was install the Windows version with Virtual PC (or use a real PC and burn a cd). I have the hybrid battle chest so it had the install for both. I then downloaded the Mac OSX 1.10 patch. All you need to run the game are the data files. Copy the 2 main .mpq files (i cant remember their exact names off hand) into the folder the patch is in. Name the one for the original Starcraft "Starcraft Data" (no quotes) and name the one for Brood War "Brood War Data". Hope this helps.

9. jimthorn thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

Thanks, Adam. I have access to a PC, so I can install and copy the files. That sounds like the easiest solution.

:confused:
    But isn't this silly? I mean, Blizzard could throw the Mac OS X app, the StarCraft and Brood War files, and a new OS X installer on one CD and sell it as a new item ("Now optimized for Mac OS X Panther!" or something). Since 99% of the product already exists, they would get a lot of new sales with almost no investment. So why hasn't this happened?

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I thought I had seen something about an OS X native installer on their site...

11. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Well since Starcraft is such an old game it probably doesnt make since to make a bunch of new cds. They are a company, and I'm sure the sales and therefore profits from Starcraft have significantly slowed. I just bought it a few weeks ago and Best Buy had like 20 of them just sitting on the shelves and its been like that for a while. I do think they should post an installer on their website, they could make one in no time.

12. jimthorn thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

It's not an installer. You end up with a folder containing the StarCraft (Carbon) app and support files, but the problem is that you have no simple way of getting the game files off the CD. Adam's idea of installing on a PC would probably be the easiest answer for me, because all I need are the game files.

I actually did something similar to install Quake II for OS X. A native OS X version of the app was created, but you need the game files installed off the original CD. So I installed on a PC and then copied the game files folder over to the Mac. It works well, but it just seems silly to need a PC.

13. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

I did the same thing with Quake 1. I tried to use an Elite Force PC cd with the mac patch but it didnt work. Back more on topic, I noticed that Starcraft must store the cd key in the .mpq files cause the OS X version never asked me for a key.

14. jimthorn thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

So I don't have to put the CD in the drive to play the game? That's nice to know. I made a disk image of the Warcraft III CD so I don't have to bring the disk with me when I play it on my laptop. But it's still a hassle.

So I'll pick up StarCraft and Brood War this weekend and play around with it (they're quite cheap now). If I get it working, I may burn a CD of the final OS X version with the app and all the files so I don't have to go through it again if I want to reinstall.

Incidentally, I have Quake 1 running in OS X. Let me know if you need help getting that working.

15. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

You still need the cd to play the game. That's probably the reason you cannot access the data file right from the cd. The installer creates the file (or atleast modifies it). Although, if my memory serves me correctly, you can take the cd out after a certain point (we would play like 4 player multiplayer games off of 2 cds at my neighbors house). I got Quake 1 to work, but the performance seems really crappy to me. I get like 70fps. I have an iBook 800MHz with 640mb of ram. I get the same performace (if not better) on my PIII 500MHz, 192mb of ram, and a 16mb Voodoo3. Its playable, so I shouldnt be complaining, but I want to be able to turn on FSAA and run at 1024x768 (the latter of which I am already doing). Its a 7 year old game for cryin out loud (came out like 1996?). Or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, I should run some benchmarks. I burned a cd of Starcraft already because I will hopefully be installing Panther this weekend.