does the $100 printer rebate apply to refurb macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wmmk, Nov 2, 2006.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

i'm getting a refurb macbook, and i was hoping that the $100 printer rebate would still apply. thanks.

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Yes.

I just got my refurb 1.66 Core Duo Mini on Saturday with a Canon Pixma MP530. I actually had to call Apple three times to get clarification on this. It says it applies to any Apple computer shipped Oct 17 to .... whatever the date is.

First person I talked to said no.
    Second person said yes.
    Third person, in rebates and order status said no, then when I said I has heard otherwise, checked with his supervisor and came back to say yes.

So I ordered it.
    Of course it arrived on Saturday, so I have yet to mail in it, much less get the rebate yet.

3. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

interesting, because i was at the apple store sunday morning and the guy said the rebate only applied to new macs. well, i suppose that if the answer was yes for you, it'd be yes for me!

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Like I said, I had to call a couple times and get a rebate rep to check with his supervisor and they said yes. That said, it DOES NOT APPLY TO REFRESHED macs which are open box/returned macs they sell at the stores. I could have gotten a refreshed 1.83 Mini for $719 at my local Apple store but they said it didn't qualify. REFURBS ARE ONLY AVAILABLE ONLINE. And realize the sales people at the stores don't always know.

5. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

wait, so if I buy a refurb at a brick and mortar apple store, I don't get the rebate? that sucks!!!!!!!!!

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The terms of the rebate say nothing about limiting the rebate to new Macs, and there have been numerous reports of people here getting the rebate on refurb Macs.

The terms also state that " Purchases must be made at the online Apple Store, a retail Apple Store, or through Apple Telesales located in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia."

As long as the Mac and the printer are on the same receipt, they'll have to give you the rebate.

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Yes, it will work at a B&M store as long as it is a REFURB. I have never heard of Apple Stores selling refurbs, only online. However, if you do find a refurb at a B&M store go ahead, just make sure it is a REFURB and not a REFRESH. Refresh may also qualify for the rebate, but I would strongly urge you to check with Apple Customer Service first, because I was told that they didn't.

Refurb = Apple Reconditioned Product

Refresh = Return/Open Box Product

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Again, the terms make no distinction between new/refurbed/refreshed Macs: "All Apple computers shipping during the promotion dates qualify."

If Apple turns you down, I don't see that they have even a shaky leg to stand on. If it happens, call them up, and if they don't budge, mutter something about small claims court and they'll quickly give you the rebate. You're entitled to it.

9. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

thanks, WildCowboy and roland.g! I'll be at the North Michigan Avenue apple store tomorrow morning! (I don't think refresh models will be discounted for the Thanksgiving event).