Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lubillybob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
maybe it's too early to really know, but does anyone know if the newly announced 160gb ipod classic uses a single platter or two platters? also is it pata or sata?

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
i hope its using a microsata -> lif connector to the ipod...which in that case you can use it for just about any microsata drive to put it in the air, assuming the drive is 3.3v and 5mm.

Qusus

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2009
I don't think it does

Hey guys, the 160GB is def. the right physical size and uses the correct connectors for the Macbook Air, however, I was told that Apple made all IPod HD's unable to be reformatted. Thus, while you can put the drive into a Macbook Air, hook it up and power it and everything etc, you cannot actually install OS X on it.

If I'm wrong about this please let me know as I've not tried this myself.

itou

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
as long as it fits, it's possible.
heck, if it doesn't, just buy the hdd.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Hey guys, the 160GB is def. the right physical size and uses the correct connectors for the Macbook Air, however, I was told that Apple made all IPod HD's unable to be reformatted. Thus, while you can put the drive into a Macbook Air, hook it up and power it and everything etc, you cannot actually install OS X on it.

I doubt this. I don't think there is a way to prevent formatting of a drive.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

I'm sure that limitation (if there is one) is only presentable when the drive is in the iPod.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
People have tried this before with Classic drives in the iPod to the MBA. Never works. There is a formatting and locking problem where cannot install the OS and etc once they get drive into MBA. I would bet, NO.

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
The technical reason why it would not work for MBA (or computers in general) might be because the drive does NOT support "512bytes per block" that IDE controllers expected.

I believe the CE drives use 4K per block and there is no way to change it!. Pity cos a doubling of storage on the classic Air would still extend its life longer...

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Also if you read the product description you will find that the 1.8" 160GB drive uses a PATA interface.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This definitely points to a Macbook Air bump in the near future. Of course, Apple could just abandon the HDD altogether and have the 128 SSD be the stock model. The price should keep coming down.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
This definitely points to a Macbook Air bump in the near future. Of course, Apple could just abandon the HDD altogether and have the 128 SSD be the stock model. The price should keep coming down.

I think the ultimate plan, and was all along, to sell a low-end MBA with a 128 GB SSD, and a high-end MBA with a 256 GB SSD. I think the pricing indicates such too. I believe a new 256 GB SSD MBA will be a big price bump, but may well include a new Nvidia GPU and 4 GB RAM. I think this is/and always was the plan, and the problem was waiting for the 256 GB SSD in 1.8" 5mm height size to be ready. Once the SSDs are ready, I say we get the new high-end MBA. The problem will be paying for it!!! Pricey for sure... I am guessing $2199 or $2299.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I think the ultimate plan, and was all along, to sell a low-end MBA with a 128 GB SSD, and a high-end MBA with a 256 GB SSD. I think the pricing indicates such too. I believe a new 256 GB SSD MBA will be a big price bump, but may well include a new Nvidia GPU and 4 GB RAM. I think this is/and always was the plan, and the problem was waiting for the 256 GB SSD in 1.8" 5mm height size to be ready. Once the SSDs are ready, I say we get the new high-end MBA. The problem will be paying for it!!! Pricey for sure... I am guessing $2199 or $2299.

They make keep the HDD model and lower the price even more. Honestly, at this point, there is absolutely no reason for the Air to be more expensive than the Macbook Pro 13". Both not have the same quality screen, same unibody construction, illuminated keyboard, etc....nothing in the Air should cost more money, aside from the SSD (this doesn't even include the lack of ports, optical drive, etc...which are not involved in the cost of the Air).

I hope you are right, and I would love to come back to the Air if they correct some of the issues with it.

Qusus

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2009
They make keep the HDD model and lower the price even more. Honestly, at this point, there is absolutely no reason for the Air to be more expensive than the Macbook Pro 13". Both not have the same quality screen, same unibody construction, illuminated keyboard, etc....nothing in the Air should cost more money, aside from the SSD (this doesn't even include the lack of ports, optical drive, etc...which are not involved in the cost of the Air).

I hope you are right, and I would love to come back to the Air if they correct some of the issues with it.

This is untrue. The Macbook Air's motherboard is unlike anything in any other notebook and is presumably much more expensive to manufacture than anything like the cookie cutter main boards found in all other notebooks. In addition to the form factor, the economies of scale of the motherboard does not help either.

Additionally, if you look at the posted prices for Intel processors (they're listed on Wikipeda somewhere) the high-end SL is one of most expensive CPU's in a notebook, and as far as I know is not used in any other computer other than the Air.

Those two items should add substantial manufacturing cost to the Air over the 13 inch Macbook Pro. Perhaps the Air is still "overpriced" (if you define overpriced in the Marxist sense; how much it costs to produce versus how much they retail for), but its not true at all that the Macbook Pro and Air should cost the same to make.

itou

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
there are those who tend to equate things that they can't afford simply as being overpriced.

i think the air is reasonably priced.
it has always been a niche product.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本

TOFL. Apple Genius's and store staff often know jack **** about their product they're selling. Go ahead, ask them something technical.. over 90% of the time, they're useless.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
as i already have posted ,

i have taken a ssd from a 30gb ipod video and put it into a toshiba laptop and it worked fine, i had to remove the partitions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.