Does The Apple Wireless Keyboard Have...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by crees!, Aug 17, 2005.

1. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Does the wireless keyboard have a usb port on it? I'm asking because if it does I was wondering if you could plug a mouse (a Mighty one) into it?

\m/

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

100% sure the bluetooth kb doesn't include the 2 USB ports. BT isn't fast enough or powerful enough (electricity) to run them.

3. supergod macrumors 6502

I don't see what the big problem has been with some people and plugging the mighty mouse in. All the reviews comment that the mouse cord is way too short on it. Well, correct me if I am wrong, is it not the exact same length as the cord on my Apple Pro Mouse. The pro mouse is still my absolute fave and I find it to be incredibly comfortable in comparison to heavier, higher, shorter mouses.

Obviously the cord is not long enough to plug in to a system that is on the ground, but can't you just use the USB hub on your monitor? Seeing as just about the only system that is meant to be placed on the ground is the Power Mac the problem seems moot: any user who was using a Power Mac would also use a monitor with USB connections on it. And any other Apple computer would already be on the desk and right at reach.

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

powermacs come with a USB extender to plug in the mouse... well at least mine did

5. persianpunisher macrumors regular

wait, so the does the wireless come with it OR NOT?

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

wireless do NOT have any USB ports

7. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

No... the USB extender will only work with the keyboard. At least mine did... It has a special key on one side that prevents the mouse from using it.

If you need to extend your mouse cord... you have to buy an extension cord. Apple recommends one by Belkin. It runs $20.00

8. Maedus macrumors regular

I have an old Apple Pro Mouse (black) hooked up to the back my iMac G5 and I have to say the cord is long enough and has plenty of slack for my needs. I could see a problem if you use your mouse in your left hand though since the cable isn't long enough to make it over to the left side of the keyboard. Though personally I'd rather have to add to the length with an extender than be left with a coil of wire that gets in the way and knocks things over like drinks or what not.

9. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

Let's get back on topic.

No, Apple BT keyboard does not have a USB port. Just get a BT mouse like the Logitech MX 900.

10. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

Well.. when you're designing a standing computer display completely made out of acrylic for your portfolio show and want everything wireless.. and by design everything has to be wireless then you can see why I was asking. A cord wouldn't reach where my laptop was going to be and it would have killed the design esthetic of it if I tried. I would have settled for a short cord to the keyboard if it allowed for it. I think it's gonna be cool. I'm mounting a 20" (maybe 23") cinema display to it as well and have a little stand for my laptop to sit. I'll post photos when it's done on the forums here but that won't be till the end of next month when my show is.

BTW, I ordered the standard wireless keyboard and mouse which will do just fine. Thanks for all your input.

\m/

11. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

ohhh now i see

sorry i have BT i never really took the time to look at it...

12. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

13. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

Thanks for reading :eek: the previous posts James