Does the Greatness Never End?!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Guitarius, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

April 29th will be the greatest day ever. Not only is that the release date for Tiger, but it's the release date for Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

If you've never read the book, maybe you just don't understand. That is, in my opinion, one of the best books ever written, and finally there is a good movie version. Yay!

I wonder what other great things will happen on that day.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

would you recommend reading the book prior to seeing the movie or do you think the other way would be better for someone who has no idea about this book/movie? ive heard great things about it and i plan on reading and seeing both, i just dont know what order to go in, and i know the book will probably be better than the movie, thats the way it always happens

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does this mean that Tiger is Mostly Harmless? :D

Hmm...I don't know if I'd recommend reading the book first. Adams had a habit of making changes to the plot in different media, so if you're one of those people who gets mad when the movie differs from the book, maybe no. OTOH, Hitchhikers' is rife with little cross-references and allusions to earlier parts of the story, and it might be hard to appreciate all the humor in the movie form. On the third hand (you'll get that one soon :)), the books are *so* worth reading, and are very quick reads. So if watching the movie means you will not bother, definitely go read them.

4. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Hey, you have just over a week before the movie comes out (if you go see it on the premire date like I plan to do). I say read them if you have the time. They are, indeed, a quick easy read, and well worth it. So yeah, read them. It's been years since I have, so I may just read them over again before. I dunno though, I may not have time.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

cool ill wait to see it until i plow through the books, im a fast reader, its just a matter of finding the time LoL

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

My advice to those who have not read any of the books, or watched the old BBC TV series... wait until you watch the movie first. It's the same principle that applies to the LOTR movies... the books contain a lot of humor that won't be covered in the film, and the film contains some all new material, so best not to jumble your mind with too much info (and versions of HGTTG).

But once you've seen the film, THEN you should read the books (which are awesome) and see the original TV series (which is ALSO awesome, although rather truncated compared to the books). The original TV series is also 3 hours, compared to the movie's 2 hours or so.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'm looking forward to the movie. I haven't read the books in almost 20 years, but I still think I remember a good bit from them. I was pretty obsessed with them in my pre-teen years. For some reason this was my favorite joke:

Exports: None. See Imports.

8. howard macrumors 68020

howard

and when tiger crashes the day you get it....

DON'T PANIC!!

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, at least that one logically made sense. The item about the population being zero didn't, but it was still funny to see how he did the math.

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Sex: None. Well, in fact there is an awful lot of this, largely because of the total lack of money, trade, banks, art or anything else that might keep all the nonexistent people of the Universe occupied.
    However, it is not worth embarking on a long discussion of it now because it really is terrible complicated. For further information see Guide Chapters seven, nine, ten, eleven, fourteen, sixteen, seventeen, nineteen, twenty-one to eighty-four inclusive, and in fact most of the rest of the Guide.

:D

I'm presently about two-thirds through Mostly Harmless.

11. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

As a matter of fact, Hitchhiker's was originally written for the radio, in a serialised form, and much like the goons, Dougles Adams was still writing the later episodes during the time of recording. I don't know if you yanks know, but there is already a TV version of the HHGG, which was OK too.

Check out this there's LOADS of stuff there.

It was then composed as a book by DA, who then wrote "The Restaurant" as a Radio Show, and the subsequent stories as books (never made for Radio or TV).

I don't think the film looks very good, but this may be because I have the Radio show on tape, and am a Detotee to it!

Hope it exceeds my expectations!