Does the ibook 12" feel heavy in a backpack?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by WillMak, Jul 29, 2005.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

I'll be receiving an ibook 12" sometime next week and was wondering how heavy it makes one's backpack when combined with the usual semesters suply of binders and books. Also, is it safe to put the ibook in a backpack with heavy books and binders?

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

You will barely notice your iBook in your bag.

iBooks were built to be durable (but.. don't be CRAZY with it, you know?) so it should be OK in a bag with other books. Just be sure to get a sleeve to cover up those ports!!

Rock on with your new iBook! :)

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Not at all when i had a 12" i would carry it in a sleeve inside my bag all day when studying, it was lighter than most books and very easy to move around, also thanks to the long battery life i wouldnt need to bring the charger with me as a charge in the evening could last me the whole day....

SHadOW ;)

4. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

sweet. Have you guys seen the new Toshiba r200s? They are so thin and light (less than 2.7 lbs!!).

5. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

6. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

exactly!!! I think Apple should make the next 12" powerbook under 3lbs as well. You guys don't regret going with a heavy 4.9lbs ibook rather than these ultraweights when traveling abck and forth from campus?

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree, wish there was an even more compact Apple notebook. I've never had an "ultra" lightweight notebook, just my PB, but I'm guessing I would never regret it because... you really can't beat the OS. Just the other day, my bf's younger brother (a 3rd year in college) was about to hurl his windows notebook at the wall because he couldn't get it to work. He looked at me for help and I just smiled, shrugged, and said, "Get a Mac?" I just... don't know the least bit about technology-- he assumed I did because I've never had problems w/ my PB. :p ;)

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Come on a pound or two on the good old back will not kill anyone, it will only make you stronger in the long run. ;) :)

Seriously though you won't feel the weight on your back at all, unless you are
    tired and "falling to pieces". ;) :D

9. moliere macrumors newbie

I've had my 12" iBook for almost 4 years, and I never really took extra pains to care for it. I just tossed it in the backpack with everything else, including books, cables and my trusty calculator, to and from the college. It's still running really well, though, and it still looks really good. There are minor scratches on the case, but nothing to worry about.

Now that I got a 15" powerbook, though, I'm being extra careful about everything. Got a laptop backpack, PLUS a ZeroShock sleeve. I'd die if I damage it in any way. My iBook was utilitarian; my PowerBook is my baby.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i dident notice it at first but now when i dont have my book it puts a spring in my step. not like a friends 17" 3" thick athlon 64 6800 mobility monster which he can barely lift with one arm.

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You will barely notice the iBook in your backpack.

To protect it, get a Tucano Second skin (like this one), protects it from scratches and the occasional mishap.

I actually managed to slip and fall twice on icy pavements last winter, both time with my iBook in a backpack. The first time I had the backpack over my shoulder and it fell off hitting the ground pretty hard, the other time I actually landed partly on my back(pack). Neither fall affected the iBook whatsoever, it was perfectly happy (sleeping) in its second skin... ;)

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i "go commando" with my ibook in my bag, it's loose with my books, never had an issue from a drop.

even if it was 5x the weight it'd be good for you as you body will put on the muscle required to cary it easyly and that cant be a bad thing.

13. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't go as far to say you won't notice it, but it's not terribly heavy to carry around. I've had both a PB and an iBook, and had no problem carrying them around.

14. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

well, i guess it would depend on how heavy your books are now won't it :p

if you have problems carrying a heavy bag, get a bag with wheels on it. although, if you don't have problems, then i say just suck it up and carry it. it won't be that heavy.

15. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

It'll be fine. I carry my 14" one arouund, and don't really notice it. Just make sure you have a strong, sturdy backpack, which is 'high up' on your back. This makes it seem lighter and eaier to carry.

::20ROGERSC::

16. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I hardly notice it in a Brenthaven Mobility1 satchel I bought with my iBook, so it's not that bad -- one of the lightest portables that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.