Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
I'm thinking of switching from a PC to an IMac. I've been to the Apple store and I have gotten to different answers to the following question:

Currently, when I want to send a fax, I scan it in with my scanner or type a letter. I then choose FAX as the printer from a drop down list. The Windows Fax Utility opens, and I follow the prompts and send my fax. First, I plug my telephone line into the modem. If I want to recieve one, I make sure the modem is plugged in, and anyone can send me a fax.

Does the IMac have a comparable built in utility? If not, why not? How would I send and receive faxes?

Buying a fax machine is not an option.

Thanks,
Steven

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
Straight from the Help menu in 10.5:

Sending a fax
You can fax files directly from your computer to any fax machine or computer that’s set up to receive faxes. If your computer has a modem connected to a phone line, it’s automatically configured to send faxes.

To send a fax:

Choose File > Print, and then choose Fax PDF from the PDF pop-up menu.

Type the fax number in the To field, or click the Address Book button to the right of the To field to select a number.

If you want to paste a number into the To field and the Edit > Paste command isn’t available, hold down the Control key as you click the To field and choose Paste from the menu that appears.

If your phone system requires you to dial a prefix for an outside line, type it in the Dialing Prefix field.

If you want to include a cover page, select “Use Cover page” and enter a subject and message.

Make sure the correct fax device is selected from the Printer pop-up menu.

To change your options, choose the option category from the print options pop-up menu.

For example, to choose your modem’s behavior when faxing, choose Fax Modem. You can choose whether to dial with touch tones or pulse tones, whether to listen to the modem as it dials, and whether to wait for a steady dial tone before dialing.

Click Fax.

The fax is sent as soon as your modem is available. For example, if you’re using your modem to connect to the Internet, the fax is sent after you disconnect from your Internet service provider.

The top of every page has a header that contains the date and time the fax was sent, a page number, and the fax number of the sender (from Print & Fax Preferences.)

If you include a cover page, it has a heading that contains fax’s recipient (from the To field in the Print dialog), the fax’s sender (the name of the logged-in user), the date and time the fax was sent, the subject line (from the Subject field in the Print dialog), and the number of pages in the fax not including the cover page. The body of the cover page is the Message field in the Print dialog.

If you have a set of options that you frequently use, you can save it as a “preset.” After you set your options, choose Save As from the Presets pop-up menu. To use this set of options when faxing another document, choose its name from the Presets pop-up menu.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The iMac does have a built-in fax utility. It's located in the print dialog box.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
The fax software is built into OSX but you have to purchase the modem separately! Apple sells a USB modem for $50 http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA034Z/A

You might be able to find cheaper ones. I don't believe any of Apple's hardware comes with a modem anymore. They are available as an option and always it's the USB modem.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
So Much For Apple Store Advice

Thanks for the answer. I went to the Apple store and the fellow who came over to help me didn't know. So, he told me to hold on and he'd ask another more experienced helper. He came back and told me NO. I'd have to get a third party utility.

So much for the APPLE store advice. Pretty lame!

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I have a G5 PowerMac wit built in modem. I have sent faxes before. And received I think. It's been a long time.

DZ/015, HLdan, psingh01 are correct.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
soooooo...

if you dont have a modem you cant send it via your broadband??

No. It's very different technology.

I got rid if my dedicated fax machine a couple of years ago and now use the software built into OSX.

Cons - Mac needs to be on, though it can be set to wake up to receive faxes.

Pros - Very easy to use, saves paper/toner, + one less appliance adding to my electricity bill.

PS. The Apple 'Geniuses' should be truly embarrassed :(

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
No. It's very different technology.

I got rid if my dedicated fax machine a couple of years ago and now use the software built into OSX.

Cons - Mac needs to be on, though it can be set to wake up to receive faxes.

Pros - Very easy to use, saves paper/toner, + one less appliance adding to my electricity bill.

PS. The Apple 'Geniuses' should be truly embarrassed :(

no as in it does need a modem or no as in it doesnt need a modem hahaha?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Mac OS does have this built in, as other posters have mentioned, but this is old technology. Most people nowadays email things and I see less and less of fax.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Mac OS does have this built in, as other posters have mentioned, but this is old technology. Most people nowadays email things and I see less and less of fax.

Agreed, I actually http://www.myfax.com. It's an online fax service for $9.99/mo U.S. I just simply send my faxes through email and they are received as regular faxes on the other end. I have a small Canon flatbed scanner that I use to scan in new documents and then I just fax them. MyFax accepts PDF, MS Word docs, TIFF's and many other formats.
I like this service because I can receive faxes at any time from anywhere since they are all sent to my email address and the Mac doesn't have to be on.

I should sell for them.:)

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Old But Still Good technology

I don't see why I'd pay for a fax service if I could send one from my own computer. The technology might be old, but its very reliable. I'm glad OS X has it built in.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I don't see why I'd pay for a fax service if I could send one from my own computer. The technology might be old, but its very reliable. I'm glad OS X has it built in.

Just for the reasons I mentioned, unless you didn't read my post. Because online faxing (sending/receiving) is done by email you will be able to receive or send your faxes from any computer and they are stored in your email and not just on one computer.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
It looks like 2 options.
1) buy a fax modem as described
2) subscribe to a fax service as described

From OP login name, I suspect some security is required.
So #1 is likely the best choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.