Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Does the iPhone 4S (unlocked) support T-Mobile's HSPA+? If so, what would the averages for download and upload look like in:

Chicago, IL
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY?

Thanks in advanced.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Only the AT&T version is compatible with T-Mobile's refarmed network. The CDMA versions won't work at all. With the iPhone 5 all versions are compatible with HSPA+. It's the LTE radio in the CDMA versions of the iPhone 5 that won't work on T-Mobile's eventual LTE network. Only the AT&T version will work on their eventual LTE network.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I know in Miami i was told HSPA+ will be up by january and LTE-advanced will be up by the summer.

This is fine for me since their 3G is amazing

2012-11-26%2014.52.05.png

BrandonHacks

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Texas
There 3G is faster than sprint LTE.. Switched from the for i5 and mother kept the 4 I had. Two months of waiting and she has quicker speeds here in dallas than I do on 3G.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
There 3G is faster than sprint LTE.. Switched from the for i5 and mother kept the 4 I had. Two months of waiting and she has quicker speeds here in dallas than I do on 3G.

Sprint is in a sad state right now, I am seeing more 1xRTT than 3G right now. I felt the EDGE service I had with T-Mobile was faster than what I get with 3G with Sprint right now here in Phoenix in some areas.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Are the speeds ridiculously slow on the 3G EDGE network for the iPhone 4S? Or are they manageable? In terms of web-browsing? Streaming/uploading?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Well I have the 5 and not the 4S but it should be similar. The edge is only good for web browsing, slow but manageable. T-mobiles 3G is very good though.

I don't have the link but there is map that shows where people have picked up 3G on tmobiles network. It should be in one of the other threads, if I get to my comp later I will post it so you can keep track of your area

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Are the speeds ridiculously slow on the 3G EDGE network for the iPhone 4S? Or are they manageable? In terms of web-browsing? Streaming/uploading?

I'm using Edge on my 4S. It's fine for most websites and streaming Pandora. It's very slow and annoying if you try to stream videos like YouTube or something though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.