Does the iPhone 5 come with protective film out of the package?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HoopTrundler, Dec 24, 2012.

1. macrumors member

This is a two-part question. The second part is, does this protective film work okay as a temporary screen protector? The basic situation is that I'm getting the iPhone 5 tomorrow but I'm unable to get a screen protector until later, so I was wondering if the protective film would work for a couple days, or if touch responsiveness isn't great through the protective film. And yes, I'm aware that I could just remove the film on day one and then clean the screen before putting on the screen protector, but for the purposes of this scenario I'd rather not do that.

2. Morshu9001, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012

macrumors regular

1. Yes, it does.
    2. No, you can't use it as a screen protector (at least not a very good one).

You can buy screen protectors with pocket change from Chinese eBay sellers.

3. macrumors G5

Macman45

No, just the thick protective covering all phones come with, I wouldn't use it as a screen protector...A day or two won't hurt as long as you are careful . A case is always more important IMO anyway.

4. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yes it does come with protective film out of the box. You could leave it on temporarily until you can get your hands on a better screen protector.

5. macrumors 601

Yes you can, as long as you cut the top where the speaker is off and bottom near the home button. I've used them before until my Power Support Crystal came in.

6. macrumors 68000

Screen protectors and cases are overkill. Phone will be just fine without them.

7. hakuna-matata, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012

macrumors 6502

+1. did the same thing. ordered Zagg screen protector took it 10 days.

8. macrumors regular

Apple has recommended for a couple of years now that screen protectors aren't needed. I didn't have one on my iPhone 4 and just sold it for the 5 with no scratches at all on the face. Don't waste the money.

9. macrumors 6502

I scratched mine, so I bought a screen saver a couple of days later.

10. macrumors 6502a

my exact reason to not use a screen protector and worked out for me ever since

11. macrumors 68020

sviato

I cut off the bottom tab that was sticking out and used the protective film as a screen protector for a few weeks. It's effective but makes pressing the home button somewhat difficult (I used the assistive touch thing though) and calls sound super quiet because the ear piece is covered. Otherwise it's a decent temporary solution

12. macrumors regular

They have? I disagree. They're totally worth it. My iPhone 4 screen got minorly scratched because it had no protector on it and was in a bag with other items.

13. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

That's where you went wrong. Mine stays in a pocket, or on my desk. :cool:

14. macrumors regular

Yes, this was discussed ad nauseam a few years ago when Apple stopped selling screen protectors in their stores and online.

15. macrumors 6502

Screen protectors have been worthless since the iPhone 4 came out. Last time I used one was back when I had an iPhone 3G and haven't gotten any scratches on the screens of any of my iPhones since then.

16. macrumors 603

rgarjr

Believe it or not micro scratches do happen on the screen. I tend to not really care though since its part of the normal wear from daily usage.

17. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

I have the back cover it shipped with still on and I got it on launch day. I have a leather flip wallet as well, but figured this would stop the plastic case rubbing the back (after all those scuff gate threads). Happy to say mine is still spotless.

18. macrumors 603

Is this not the stupidest question / thread you've ever seen?

19. macrumors regular

OK, but then you're limited to keeping your iPhone in a pocket with no other items or a desk. It'll get scratched in a car's center console or other container with other items (think about airport security x-ray gates). And I still wouldn't trust that the inside of my pocket is completely non-scratching.