Does the iPhone cost $600 with a 2 year contract?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Balli, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Balli macrumors 6502

I am a little confused... Is the iPhone going to be sold for $600 on a 2 year Cingular contract with a monthly fee, or is it $600 in a Apple Store, but cheaper if you buy it with a Cingular contract at a Cingular store?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think it's $600 only if you get the two year contract with cingular. my contract with cingular doesn't expire until november. <sigh>

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

$499 or $599 (4GB or 8GB) is the cost of the phone itself - through Apple or Cingular.

Your voice plan (and possibly data plan) are extra, charged each month.

4. bwv1060 macrumors newbie

I believe it is exclusively available through Cingular. $499 w/2yr contract for 4GB and $599 w/2y contract for 8GB.

5. Balli thread starter macrumors 6502

So there's no possibility of getting this phone on "Pay as you Go"? I've never been one for contracts. :(

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That usually doesn't factor in, they're more than happy to lock you in longer and make a sale.

B

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Probably not now. Maybe not ever.

There are rumors, though, that it might sell unlocked for a huge premium.

8. Balli thread starter macrumors 6502

So if it is not any cheaper with a contract, then why is Apple teaming up with Cingular? Why not just leave the phone sim-free, so people can choose their own service provider?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Because they'd have to charge $799 and $899 for it? The quoted prices already include Cingular's subsidy of the price since that's the only announced way you can get it.

B

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i feel trapped already. :) this is good news for me, i guess. unless i'm planning to move, i really don't intend to change my wirelss provider.

11. Balli thread starter macrumors 6502

I just hope people find a way to unlock this phone, as there is NO way I am going to pay £350 for a phone, and then continue to pay over £25 per month for a contract with minimum benefits.

I just wonder who Apple will team up with in the UK? I'm guessing either Orange or Vodaphone.

12. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Re unlocking - from what was said at MWSF it sounds as though some of the iPhones software is tied in with the Cingular service, so even if it was unlocked, some of the features wouldn't work, like the visual message service for example, and maybe the conference call feature.
    Whoever Apple choose to go with in the UK has to provide a visual messaging service similar to that developed by Cingular for the iPhone - maybe that explains why the European launch is later.
    On a slightly different note, by the time it launches in the UK it could even be called the Phone instead of the iPhone if Cisco prove to be a problem......

13. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Sounded like the phone will not be offered with any discount from Cingualar? That may change or deals may surface from Cingular as time marches on. Did I see on the chart that Thinksecret had on their page that the phone costs Cingular more than the retail price? I may have misinterpreted the chart. The phone should get cheaper as it stays on the market longer? Or perhaps other models will show up at a reduced price.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

let me repeat what other ppl have said again and again, the current price already includes the discount by cingular's contract.

without discount, that phone will cost more than 700 for 4G and 800 for 8G model.

15. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Sounds reasonable. I often decide to change phones mid-contract because I've grown to hate them and I recently bought a Nokia phone (which turned out to be less than brilliant) sim-free for £400. I'd happily buy the iPhone sim-free for £500.

16. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

that is if they'll even offer it without a contract.