Does the iPhone work in Europe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PanMan, Jun 28, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

I know the phone will not be available in Europe yet, probably not before the very end of the year or early 2008? However, I do a lot of travelling all over the world, and particularly in Europe. I feel it would be a rather big negative for me, considering to purchase the phone this weekend, if it will not work in Europe and other parts of the world.

I just read an article from Norway stating that experts in that country do not think the iPhone will become available there at all! According to this article the configuration is too complicated for one of the local suppliers to invest the funds and resources to make it possible.

This seems to be a concern on other European countries too! And that being the case I may risk buying a phone which will never work in Europe? Somehow this does not seem right to me?

Does anyone have any comments on this?

2. macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I read somewhere that it will work abroad, but I need to find the link.

I found it...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/questionsandanswers.html

"Can I use my iPhone internationally?
    iPhone is a quad-band GSM phone and will work around the world. Before you travel, make sure that international dialing and roaming are enabled through AT&T and that the places you’re going offer GSM coverage. Visit AT&T help for more information."

3. macrumors 6502a

It will work with AT&T international roaming. Wherever AT&T has agreements, and subject to the roaming charges of course.

I'm hoping it works at least. I'll be in the UK and Germany in July with my iPhone. :)

4. macrumors regular

If I'm leaving the US this summer, and decide to take my iphone with me, what should i do? Depending on the amount of data my iphone would be using, and I would be subject to international data rates, would it be better to disable the data useage while I am abroad?

Or does the unlimited data plan include international useage?

TIA,
    Bryan

5. macrumors 65816

Photography

I believe you will have to call AT&T so they can enable international roaming, and be prepared to get hit with heavy fees.

coolosxapps

6. macrumors 6502a

International roaming on other AT&T phones is 2 cents per KB, if you have a data plan domestically. I'm sure this will be about the same.

I'm thinking I'll set my mail.app to manual. And then I've got a map of different wifi spots I can use to check my mail. I'm sure I'll use Maps and stuff occasionally even without WiFi, plus voice calls, so I'll have a bit of a bill when I get back, I'm sure. Generally I also carry an old unlocked phone with a local SIM just to keep the roaming charges down when calling locally.

The interesting thing is that, in the past at least, I haven't been able to find a non-contract local SIM in Europe that I could use with a data rate lower than the $0.02 I pay on AT&T international roaming.

7. macrumors newbie

answer

How do you know this?:apple:

8. macrumors 65816

Why, oh why, would you bump a thread that hasn't been posted in since before the iPhone was released?

9. macrumors 6502

10. macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins