does the mac come packed with a basic photoshop type program?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Malus, Nov 30, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

What the topic asks...If they do, they hide it better than a ninja in a forest:confused:

2. macrumors G3

My PowerBook came with a program called "Graphic converter"

If you don't have that, you can try Gimp. :)

3. macrumors 6502

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, well thank you I will use that then. You would think that apple would have some kind of generic program...I mean, windows has the paint app....come on apple, your slippin.

5. macrumors 65816

Ah now paint isn't a basic photoshop app really is it? Now if that's the sort of thing you're looking for, if you're using a PPC Mac there's Appledraw, or Applepaint in Appleworks - no such app on InteliMacs unfortunately. :(

6. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Some might disagree. ;)

However, as mentioned, GraphicConverter and Gimp are good choices. i wouldn't be surprised if there were a web app that mimicked Paint as well.

7. macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Graphic Converter is an excellent program. It is worth the shareware fee, but you can try it for free (forever, actually, if you are cheap and don't mind some inconvenience).

Image Tricks is an Photoshop Elements type program. Free when I got it, but inexpensive now.

If you really want Photoshop then get Photoshop. You might want to wait for the universal version, though. There is iPhoto, of course, and various Paint and Draw programs like: Art Rage, Intaglio, Lineform, Pixen, Rita, WouldjaDraw and Zeus Draw. There is a bunch of Mac stuff out there, depending on what you want.

8. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

True, but there is Seashore which is better than MS Paint and free, also mostly on a PC I used MS Paint for saving screenshots (which is done automatically on a Mac) and image conversion (which you can use Preview for).

9. macrumors 68020

10. macrumors 68020

You get a fully registered copy of Graphic Converter with OS X...or at least you used to. I did with 10.3, but when I upgraded to 10.4, that version of Graphic Converter broke, so I'd have to register to use a newer one. Oh well....

--Eric

11. macrumors newbie

12. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You've never got it with OSX. It was bundled free with PRO machines only. So Power Macs, PowerBooks, MacBook Pros and Mac Pros. Not iBooks, iMacs, Mac Minis or MacBooks.

13. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, but Adobe is hiding the fact so they can sell you Photoshop for some serious $'s.

I think it is a bottle of whiteout, and a few colored pencils.

Edit: Ooops, sorry that stuff rolled off my desk into the open Mac box.

14. macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'd say iPhoto is a "photoshop-type app"

You can crop, adjust levels, export as jpg, and do all sorts of things you do in photoshop.

If you want an MS-paint type app, consider the free alternatives listed in this thread.

15. macrumors member

On a similar subject, how do I capture screenshots of stuff?

For example, on a PC, it's CTRL + ALT + PRINTSCREEN

What's the same combo for a MBP?

Cheers

16. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo