Does the Mac Mini have any common hardware faults?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Unspeaked, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I've searched the forum and it seems like the Mac Mini (Intel version) is a very structerly sound machine.

Unlike the portables, which are plagued with infamous problems, I've seen very little recurring posts about the Mac Mini (or iMac, for that matter).

Is there anything one should look for upon buying a new Mini?

In other words, if someone buys a MacBook, they should check out the case, the heat, the moo, the whine, etc, etc - is nothing like this necessary with a Mini...?

2. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I would still check out the general condition of it and make sure it is running as it should. Shouldn't get too hot, make sure the RAM and H/D are okay etc. The same applies to all electrical products really.

I think it's fair to say there aren't as many problems with the Mac mini compared to the portables but remember the portables are far more popular.

The mini is such a great little machine, definitely a rugged wee bugger. :p

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I'm looking at getting a Mini as well. The only thing I heard was that some people reported bad Airport reception. Antenna issues I think. I tried to confirm that with a thread and poll and no one really corroborated that fact. I think you'll be happy.

4. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I haven't had any problems with my mini. I haven't used Airport or bluetooth so I couldn't comment on any problems people may have with them.

5. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I haven't had any problems with my mini (ok ive had it only a week) I couldnt get wireless working but I think thats more to do with my router rather than the mini. Its a quiet little thing but its great :D

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Hey viccles, congrats. I know you were waiting for a while. Me, I'm going to hold out till Paris, see if the Mini gets any revision or if a new Cube comes out.

7. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Actually, early Mac minis did have an antenna problem, or at least mine did. The solution was to reattach it to the Airport Extreme card. I'm amazed how small the Airport Extreme card was.

8. bradc macrumors 6502

I bought a mini a couple weeks ago. It's flawless, I have the Core Duo 1.66ghz w/ 1gb RAM and it's awesome. Extremely quiet, my LaCie External drive is louder! No problems here.

9. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

My mini is so tiny and quiet that I forget it's even here on my desk. Never had one problem since installing Tiger on it out of the box last July.:)

10. Kung macrumors member

I bought one of the last Mac Mini G4 machines out there (mine was one of the 'silent upgrades' - I was promised 32Mb of video memory with a 1.42GHz machine, and I GOT 64Mb of memory on a 1.5GHz machine) and I've had exactly NO problems.

11. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Great isn't it and roland_g I'm loving my mini! I wouldnt mind a mac pro but mini is doing me fine :D

12. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I've had no problems at all with my Core Solo Mini. It's a great machine.

13. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I have had no problems with my mini. It's a great computer, and i was actually surprised by the speed.

14. generik macrumors 601

generik

None with mine too, apart from weak wireless using 10.4.3, a subsequent update fixed that good.