Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
I'm trying to connect a microphone for garage band but I don't see an audio input on the back... :rolleyes:

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
There should be one directly to the left (ie next too) the audio Out (Speaker) port. (Im pretty sure all Apples Professional Macs come with both audio In and Out. My earlier G4 definitely has them)

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
It also has to be self-powered. Do you have a 867mhz model? I think those didn't come with it. I knew my dual 1.25 had it though.

Best bet is to use USB audio or get a PCI audio card.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
I looked at my old G4 and there was a microphone icon next to the input port and a speaker next to the output. On my MDD it has something else next to it. Looks like to arrows pointing into a cube thing. Its the Last model originally with the single 1.25ghz processor.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I looked at my old G4 and there was a microphone icon next to the input port and a speaker next to the output. On my MDD it has something else next to it. Looks like to arrows pointing into a cube thing. Its the Last model originally with the single 1.25ghz processor.

Those arrows with a cube thing - thats the port you want :) - It has the same icon on my Mac Pro :)

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
That little port below the input is for the Apple powered speakers. Those are those clear acrylic globe speakers.

Yeah I know what that one is for. But to the left of the normal audio output on the back there is something else that I don't know what it is.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Yeah I know what that one is for. But to the left of the normal audio output on the back there is something else that I don't know what it is.

If its circular then I suspect thats it, their normally right next to each other (Audio In and Out) - There definitely is a port for it, (the one that isnt apple Pro speakers or standard audio-out - thats audio in, whichever icon Apple choose to use).

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio

Yes that's the audio input. Just saying below that is a smaller port and that's for the Apple powered speakers.

It's a little square with 2 triangles on each side. That's the audio input. My G5s have that.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
If its circular then I suspect thats it, their normally right next to each other (Audio In and Out) - There definitely is a port for it, (the one that isnt apple Pro speakers or standard audio-out - thats audio in, whichever icon Apple choose to use).

I plugged the mic into the other port and it isn't recognized in system prefs nor is it recoginzed in garage band. Maybe I need a new mic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.