Does the MDM6600 chip support 1700 MHz AWS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThomasJL, Feb 7, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

Does the Qualcomm "Gobi" MDM6600 wireless chip support the 1700 MHz AWS band that T-Mobile USA and some other foreign carriers use for 3G?

2. macrumors G5

jav6454

Google... you already have the part number, which is the hardest part. The rest is downhill.

3. macrumors newbie

4. macrumors 65816

I don't think T-mobile can afford the iPhone

5. macrumors 68020

macingman

It may support the frequency but the Verizon won't work with T-Mobile 3G

6. macrumors regular

Although it does open the possibility of a T-Mobile USA version of the iPhone in a future iteration.

7. macrumors 6502

That doesn't make any sense.

Doesn't matter. If it has AWS, then I can use it with T-Mobile.

8. macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Huh? It supports the frequency. Apple would more than likely use the same chip in it's next phone. That means the AT&T model. What else does that mean? An iPhone on AT&T that can be jailbroken/unlocked and used on T-Mobile while using their 3G network. Equals? Very happy T-Mobile customers who have been dying to use a proper iPhone on their network. I don't see why Apple shouldn't offer T-Mobile the phone. Their commercials make it obvious they want it pretty badly.

9. macrumors 65816

Doesn't matter. If it has AWS, then I can use it with T-Mobile.[/QUOTE]

It does matter. If apple hasn't turned on that frequency in the radio chip firmware, then you certainly won't be able to use it.

If apple doesn't have a reason to turn it on (AKA, no business/licensing agreement with t-mobile), then you're up a creek.

10. macrumors regular

It does matter. If apple hasn't turned on that frequency in the radio chip firmware, then you certainly won't be able to use it.

If apple doesn't have a reason to turn it on (AKA, no business/licensing agreement with t-mobile), then you're up a creek.[/QUOTE]

The baseband can support all frequencies but you need the corresponding RF chip and power amps for those frequencies...that is decided by Apple. VZW doesn't have C2K deployed in AWS so i doubt the VZW iPhone can use those frequencies.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    Because it doesn't matter what a chip _can_ support, if the device it's inside wasn't built and programmed to use it.

For instance, the first Verizon iPhone had a dual mode GSM+CDMA chipset, but there were no parts (filters, power amps) or software to enable the GSM side to work.

Likewise, the iPhone 4S must/might be lacking the same for the GSM 1700 band.

13. Drewbster, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

macrumors member

It's probably disabled in the iOS. Ask the hacking community for help.

On the contrary, the iPhone 4S has both the sim card slot feature and a new MDM6610 chip. An upgrade from the iPhone 4.