Does the Mini have speakers built in?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by GreyFox1221, Jun 19, 2005.

1. GreyFox1221 macrumors regular

I don't have any extra speakers and it seems like most Macs have some built in. And thank you for being patience with all my questions lately.

2. Church macrumors regular

Church

No, it doesn't, but it does have a headphone jack, so you can use those if you want....

3. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

4. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

yeah it has a built in speaker but it's nothing to get excited about. you can turn up the volume all the way and it's just not very loud @ all, you would definitely need external speakers.

5. davidwes macrumors regular

with a tv

what would you need to connect the mac mini to a tv instead of a lcd screen. Would the mini use the tv's speakers?
    David

6. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Youd have to get a 3 dollar rca to headphones jack wire.

Then, the headphone jack goes into your mini, and the red and white wires go into your tv.

Thennnn if you want you could connect your surround sound stereo into your tv, turn it on, and have like, a lot of noise haha.

7. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Yep, the speaker is located under the slot drive optical drive. It's very poor however! But enough for a short while until you can afford something bigger.

8. GreyFox1221 thread starter macrumors regular

What some speakers that look good with the Mini?

9. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

The Harman Kardon Soundsticks 2. They are msrp 250 but u should be able to find them for alittle over 100(amazon has them for 115 right now)....Or any other speakers will work as long as they use a minijack conecction(like headphones)...if not minijack to rca cables are cheep. The Sound sticks work through usb or minijack so u could potentially have them hooked up to two things at the same time (usb is not the greatest for audio, and audio will also use up most of ur usb bus bandwitdth but its an option)...If your looking for cheep a 20 dollar pair of speakers from target should be ok...depends how much you care about sound quality and how long u plan ok keeping the speakers.

Hope this helps

10. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Actually, he meant for video, not audio. You could plug it directly into a digital TV with a DVI cable, or you could use the Apple DVI to Video Adaptor ($19 from the Apple Store) to connect it to an s-video input.

11. Church macrumors regular

Church

Oh, sorry about that guys. I looked at the tech specs on apple.com and in the chart it just says headphones, but I just looked at it again, and further down in the list, it does say built-in speaker. Sorry :(

12. davidwes macrumors regular

I meant both. I don't have enough money for a screen and a new mac, plus I have a surrond sound system so i would connect the mac mini by s video to my dvd player (which then feeds to the tv and surround sound).

Just like I do for my playstation!

What I would really like is a used ibook with a superdrive for the same price as the mini though.

13. dirtymatt macrumors member

Just be aware that the TV-out from the mini is horrible quality. It's ok for watching movies but don't expect too much. A DVD player will blow the mini away in terms of picture and color quality. It's a real shame that the one thing no video card can get right (except for the ATI cards with the component output and then only under windows) is TV-out.

14. abrooks macrumors 6502a

Creatures :D

15. davidwes macrumors regular

tv using

Sorry to hijack the conversation, but its bad on a tv? is there a reason for this? I would have to buy a huge ass emac if I needed to get a screen with the mac mini.
    David