Does the New York Times have a Liberal Bias?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Durandal7, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    For those who continue to maintain that there is no bias at the NYT:
  2. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
  3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    no surprises here...does it mean it's a bad paper? no. I still hold it's an excellent paper, despite your occassional jason blair.

I also think that the Wall Street Journal is an excellent paper, in its core competency. It's editorial page bothers me a lot, but the rest of it, especially the business news, is superb.

The New York Post, though, is quite questionable in everything but its conservative bias.

But notice that the article you produced doesn't suggest a bias in hard news, but rather one in lifestyles, fashion, and the opinions page. The objectivity of those pages doesn't make or break a newspaper, at least for me.
  4. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Does the Wall Street Journal Have a Conservative Bias?

Well, does it? And is that evidence of a conservative bias in the media?

Does FOX News have a conservative bias? How about the Chicago Sun-Times? New York Post? The Weekly Standard?
  5. Taft macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    That's exactly the point. It's not that I think the NYTimes is completely unbiased. It's that there are so many other publications out there which don't have that level of bias or are biased towards the right.

But I would also highly disagree with many of the authors assumptions. Like this nice little passage:

This is what passes for bias these days? Being gay-friendly is biased? Exploring sub-cultures is biased? Using only scientifically backed theories in a freakin' science journal is biased? Come on! What are they supposed to do? Inject theology into a scientific discussion about the historical development of our planet? Ignore the gay population (which makes up a significant portion of their readership, no doubt)?

I'm not saying they are unbiased. I'm just saying that not everything they do is biased.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    If the New York Times really has got a pronounced liberal bias, then how are we to explain the Judith Miller episode?