Does the NRA Really Have 4+ Million Members

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jan 18, 2013.

1. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've long thought the NRA over inflated their membership numbers.

Link

2. macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, as we've seen already- honesty and truth seeking are not their strong suit.

3. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

Given the power and the news coverage that the NRA gets I was surprised that has only got 4,000,000 members. I was honestly thinking more in 20,000,000 numbers

4. macrumors 68000

FreeState

5. thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Frankly, their power comes mostly from several hundred, bought and paid for, politicians primarily on the right but with a few dozen Democrats sprinkled in.

Thankfully, we are witnessing that change, and at a rather rapid pace. :)

6. macrumors G5

leekohler

Good. As a supporter of the second amendment, they certainly do NOT represent me. They've just gone nuts.

7. macrumors 6502

I recently got an email from an organization claiming to be the NRA , referring to me as a "valued member" and thanking me for my "continued support". I have not now nor ever have been a member of the NRA nor have I contributed money or resources to them, or any remotely political organization of any kind for that matter. If they claim all the people who recieved emails like this as "members" I could see where they get their numbers from.

8. macrumors 6502a

What does it matter? What organization doesn't fudge their numbers a little? If they don't have 4.5 million today they will this year sometime. As long as this administration is going to push gun control and keep it in the forefront people will sign up. One of my friends signed up for the first time last week and another renewed his membership.

MacRumors claims to have 784,532 members. Does that number include dead accounts or members?

----------

Yeah and one of the big Dems is none other then Harry Reid http://www.harryreid.com/ee/index.php/issues/entry/issues-sportsmen_second_amendment

9. macrumors G5

leekohler

I think you overestimate their appeal. Many people who own guns or support gun ownership want nothing to do with them. I'm one of them. They've gone off the reservation to such a degree, they'll alienate just as many people as they bring in-not a recipe for success.

10. macrumors 6502a

Do you belong to a Union?

11. thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It matters because a group representing a fringe of society should not have the kind of power the NRA does. And you do your side no favors with a ridiculous comparison of the NRA to MacRumors.

While I'm sure the NRA is attracting new members, I'd bet they are losing many too.

12. macrumors 6502a

All because they don't have 10's of millions of members doesn't mean they represent a "fringe" of society. Representing all gun owners is not a fringe of society.

13. macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Since when are gunowners a "fringe" of society..

14. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, it probably includes dead members and lapsed accounts, but MacRumors doesn't use its membership number to push against members of Congress either.

Well, they say they represent "all gun owners" but increasingly, even in this very forum, it's become apparent that this is less and less true.

15. macrumors G5

leekohler

They don't represent all gun owners.

Gun owners aren't. The NRA though, is definitely a fringe group.

16. thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They primarily represent gun manufacturers.

17. macrumors 68040

Moyank24

Do you truly believe they are representing all gun owners? If you think they are, you need to do a little more research on what their actual priorities are.

I think that's what they mean by "fringe". There are many gun owners, even a few here on MR, who don't want the NRA speaking for them.

18. Orange Crane, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

macrumors 6502

Nope. I vote, am employed and have a state issued ID. No gun license of any kind. Otherwise pretty off the books with no loans, credit cards, car payment or mortgage, pay rent to landlord out of the country and no lease. As such I don't get spam email or even junkmail to my house. It was unusual to get one from the NRA. Or someone claiming to be.

If your inquiry was an attempt to initiate nitpicking at my claim to have never contributed to a political org, you probably would be better served barking up some other tree.

19. macrumors 68020

Macky-Mac

maybe 5% of gun owners are members

remember when George H. W. Bush gave up his NRA life membership in disgust over the organization's extremist rhetoric......from his letter to the NRA;

The NRA has thrown in its lot with the political fringes for some time now

20. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

And, even if their numbers were not inflated, the NRA would represent a small fraction of gun owners.

However, they have been quite successful, so far, in representing the gun industry.

21. macrumors 6502a

This reminds me of when PETA came to my university. My friend signed some form about not requiring frog dissection in schools (kind of a tame issue) and he ended up getting sent tons of information and becoming an "official" PETA member even though he really only signed the thing to shut the guy up.

I too have a hard time believing that there are 4.5 million real members in the NRA.

22. macrumors 6502a

spork183

If you take out the members with double first names, and the current cast of Moonshiners, the number comes in at about half that. But Tickle, he do have a problem...

Moonshiners-
    Discovery Channel

23. macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Proof that they over inflate membership numbers please...

24. macrumors 68040

Come on now, you should know the American way. Guilty until proven innocent.

Now prove to us that they don't over inflate membership.

25. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I said that (even) if the numbers are not inflated (by including past members whose are no longer paying dues), they still represent a small fraction of households. According to the US Census Bureau, there are 114,761,359 households (estimated) in the U.S. According to one of the references someone posted earlier, roughly 1/3 of U.S. households have at least one firearm. That would be 38+ Million households. According to the quoted excerpt from NRA ILA, "~4.3 Million". Making 11.2% of gun-owning households "more or less". That is what I call a small fraction of gun-owning households. How about you?