Does the online Apple store charge tax?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tsk, Jan 23, 2004.

1. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Just curious. I've gotten to the point where I can enter my credit card info and see no tax added on (though it is mentioned at some point).

2. tiktokfx macrumors regular

The rules on sales tax are; if a company has a physical location somewhere in the state, it must charge sales tax. Odds are that anywhere you live in the US, Apple will be charging you sales tax.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

where do you live? if your state of residence doesn't charge state tax (NH, DE, etc.) then apple won't. otherwise, they will...

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

It's worth mentioning that while they do charge tax, they don't charge for shipping. The two might balance out depending on what you order.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

...for orders above $50...

6. tsk thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsk

I'm in WI which does charge tax. I'm familiar with the rules on sales tax. I wasn't sure though if they somehow differentiated the online store from the retail stores (ie the online store was incorporated in a different name that was owned by the parent company, etc).

It just seemed odd to me that they never told you the final amount before you enter your credit card info.

I was just trying to figure out if there was any big advantage to ordering online and I guess there isn't if you order a stock machine.

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Re: Does the online Apple store charge tax?

I do have to say, that while I understand why they charge tax, the online store does a really poor job of telling you what it will be. I don't think I've made a purchase yet where teh tax figure at check out was the same as the tax figure in the invoice. How hard is this? Every other online retailer that charges tax manages to get it right the first time.

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It doesn't tell you until the end after you do your order and you wonder to yourself "how the heck does it come out to $200 more than the original quote was before I clicked order?"