Does the original PS2 need "upgraded" to play new games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sigamy, Feb 27, 2006.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

I'm way behind on video games. I know what systems are out there but I don't know all the little details...anyway, I was in an EBgames store yesterday and a woman was going to sell her original PS2, the big black one, for store credit. The clerk told her she'd only get $30 because it was one of the very early models (with a firewire port) and that they needed to send it in for an upgrade.

He said it wouldn't play many of the new games--gold discs or blue discs or something. Anyway, is this true? Can older PS2s play the new games or do they need an upgrade?

I'm asking because I was thinking of getting an old PS2 for my son, if I can find one really cheap.

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

This isn't true. Any PS2 can play any PS2 games. There is no difference between the big PS2 or the newer thin one. They all play the same games.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The real reasons they'd offer less for her older PS2 is that (1) since it's older, the chances of it breaking are higher and (2) it's not as "sexy" as the newer versions and therefore they can't sell it for as much. It's just like trading in a car... the older car may do the same job, but it's got more miles on it and isn't as sexy as the newer version of the same car, so it's worth less.

4. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

The clerk was trying to rip her off. A PS2 should go for around 65 bucks for trade in value. Probably even higher... Perhaps as high as $90. :mad:

A new PS2 runs $150. Used PS2 sell for around $120 - $130 (regardless of which model it is).

5. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

The first-gen PS2s had notoriously bad DVD-Drives, if I recall. I had two die on me, and Sony took them in to get fixed without any questions. I wouldn't be surprised if it was SOP to get the drives replaced before they sold them, but they should still be giving more than $30.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually the laser is nearly all the revisions has been terrible, including the slim model.

$30 sounds like the rep was strying to buy a cheap one himself;)

7. sigamy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks all.

Here is what happened. I can see now that the clerk was screwing her and then me. The clerk was really annoying. You know how there are nerds that are quiet and shy and then there are nerds that are loud and obnoxious and will tell you what type of engine the Starship Enterprise had? Well..

I was in the store getting PS1 games for my son. I just gave him a PS1 after waiting over a year. He is only 5 and I wanted to wait until he was six but I gave in...

Anyway we were there and I see this woman with 3 bags. A PS2, an Xbox and a Gamecube. She is with her 10 year old son. I can tell they are trading it all in for a 360. I asked her how much the store was going to give her for the PS2. She said $50. I checked my cash and had $60 so I offered it to her. She then double-checked the price with the clerk and he said he'd only give her $30 because it needed the "upgrade". She complained that over the phone he said $50 but he said "up to $50 max" and this one is less because it needs the upgrade.

So, then we started to exchange right there in the store, which I did feel wierd about, and the clerk says "you can not sell anything in the store. It is illegal and I'll have to have you both arrested." So I say ok, let's go outside. Then the clerk tells me "sir, the reason that is only $30 is because it has to be upgraded. It can only play 1/3 of the games out there. It can't play blue discs or gold discs (or something)".

At that point I said forget it to the lady. I didn't even want to get a PS2 for my son but if I could get one for $60 I would go for it, but not if it wouldn't play new games. Not worth the headache. I didn't know if this upgrade biz was true or not. I really didn't believe it (what's the point of consoles if they need upgraded every few years?) but whatever.

I then saw the family again in the mall. They decided to not trade in the PS2. Good for them.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I had 3 (of the original "big") PS2s have their DVD drive fail on me. The last one to die was replaced with a slim one that still works (cross fingers), but I know of people that have had trouble with the slim ones as well.

The trade-in value should be basically the same between the two types of PS2. $30 is theft, they are definitely worth more than that.

10. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Wait a tick! I remember when I was in the video shop not so long ago and I tried to get the latest Grand Theft Auto.

The woman there asked me about my PS2, which I said, yes, I have the bigger one not the smaller/thin one. She told me that the game would only play on the thin model.

I don't know if this was true or not, but considering I was just trying to hire a game, there was no incentive for that woman to try to rip me off.

Just letting you know.

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Really the trade in will differ for the reason the new slim ones come with a network port built in, where the old ones it was an add on and not all have them. If you want to play online you will either need the slim one or have to purchase one with the network port installed (or purchase one to install yourself.) http://www.us.playstation.com/peripherals.aspx?id=SCPH-10281

Amazon sells new for $36, but I am sure you could get a deal on ebay or video game store.

Either way, the games all play on all PS2 consoles! I have the first revision and never had the disc error that most of them had (my brother-in-law had one) and fixed it himself according to online instructions- and he is not handy with tools.) Sony said they would fix but had a very long wait at the time.

Any PS2 is not very reliable when used as a dvd player. I am always having skipping issues when playing dvd's and so is my father in law who has a new slim one. (yes, he games at 61!)

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

just to make sure this is abundantly clear:

All PS2 games will play on all non-broken PS2 consoles.

As will PS1 games.

The games with special requirements (FF 11, for example, requires a HD) usually come with the required items. No GTA games have special requirements.

The people at gaming stores who are "gaming experts" are often the least knowledgable people available. You'd be much better off asking some kid who is shopping in the store...he/she probably knows a lot more about both the games and they gaming systems than the employees do.

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

another very important thing to remember that game stores will often give you store credits- if they do be sure to get more in your store credit than they would give in cash. If this guy was offering $30 in store credit it only costs the store about $15 to do that. Usually the stores will give you $15 cash for a game but $30 store credit- It works good for both parties if they are honest to take a store credit.

14. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I got my PS2 over 4 years ago and it hasn't had a major issue yet. I own GTA:SA (the one stores won't take back because of the hot coffee mod) and it has plays without issue. I bought Midnight Club 3 last summer and it runs perfectly. If I remember correctly, blue disc PS2 games are actually a CD format. The gold disc is DVD format.

I think the store reps was pulling someone's leg.

Usually I have more issues out of game discs then I do of the actual system. One tiny scratch and games will start to freeze and glitch.

15. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

yeah that guy was totally trying to take advantage of that woman.

Also, to all those who are talking about problems with the PS2's dvd drive/laser, almost all of the issues are related to a white adjustment gear inside the dvd drive. I know this because my ps2 is over 4 years old and I've adjusted it and also fixed friends and family's. Just last week I had to fix my girlfriends and her's is one of the very first ones released! (yep, my chick is a gaming geek.... How lucky am I???? :D )

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I tried doing the fix with the white gear on all of my PS2s, but it was a no-go. I read somewhere once that the laser diode had issues, not just the alignment hardware.