Does the Q3 trick work on RtCW?

Discussion in 'Games' started by lewdvig, Aug 27, 2003.

1. lewdvig macrumors 65816

If you apply the latest patch and then copy over the baseq folder from a windows or linux game CD you get the mac version - no biggie as the 'gold' version already has this.

What I was wondering was whether or not this trick works with RtCW.

Sorry if this has been asked.

2. hardon macrumors regular

i would assume that it would as they r basic'ly the same files and the same formats (pc) but before you try it make sure you back up you files and make sure you have a genuine Key/Serial

do not blame me for a cock up! good luck

3. hardon macrumors regular

ive just tried looking for the main PK3 files on RTCW PC CD, and it has too be extracted on too a PC, stuffit xpander wont do it so ask a mate with a pc..lol to install the game and copy the main PK files to a CD and manually copy the files into your main RTCW folder on yur Mac then update it!

4. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

5. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

VPC? WTF? Have you ever seen Return to Castle Wolfenstein? It runs jerkily on my 800MHz P3 with a 64Mb Geforce 3 Titanium!

Yes (to original poster). I downloaded the demo of RTCW for Mac OS X, installed the latest patch, and then copied all the PK3s across. Works like a charm (It runs faster on my TiBook 800 than my P3!).

Same trick works on Elite Force and Jedi Knight II.

6. hardon macrumors regular

thnx Grabberslasher!!

it works,.. but be sure to put PK's in the right place..you dont even need the app!!

how bad is that?

but be warned! if you wish too play online, then purchase a Mac/PC genuine copy for the serial, trust me the multiplayer rocks! single player sucks......
    and then follow above.

playing on yur own in the 21st century is geeky, not paying for it makes yur sad!!!

Apple struggles, .. support the format and turn the monopoly around, we all understand that pc world etc do not cater for us us but if if you buy a PC copy, just register it as a mac game!!! then companys might take us seriously

if you have problems with punkbuster with installation this way,.. go too...

www.punkbuster.com

enjoy H

7. hardon macrumors regular

8. lewdvig thread starter macrumors 65816

Asking this question doesn't make one a pirate. Most of the current games on the Mac are ones that I bought and finished a year ago (RtCW, UT2K3, NWN - almost a year).

I would love to support the Mac, but mostly I would like to try games I already own on this format. I will try to buy games like Warcraft III that support both. Some upcoming games will be bought on the Mac first.

This is a switcher issue, between games and apps I have a couple thousand $$$ in software I do not want to have to re-buy.

I work for a software company, so I fully understand the moral thin ice that I am treading here. I don't want take money out of any Mac developer's pockets.